Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need some advice mamas! Dd is turning 4, and I'm thinking of getting her a wooden play kitchen for Christmas. However, I'm wondering if she would get enough use out of it, before she gets too old. She loves dolls and is starting to play "house" with them and ds who is nearly 6. She does have access to a play kitchen at preschool and enjoys it, but we were thinking of getting her her own.

The other option for a "big" gift is a dollhouse, but she doesn't seem to be into small-scale toys yet.

Any opinions?

·
Registered
7,085 Posts
i think either would be an excellent choice. my bet would be she would play with the kitchen for a year, and the dollhouse POTENTIALLY for longer if you get a one that is not too "babyish," such as the ones by Brio or Alex.

·
Registered
2,568 Posts
My dd has loved small toys from an early age so a dollhouse has been wonderful for her. She also loves her wooden kitchen. We have the all in one one from Magic Cabin, not too expensive and comes with accessories. But right now dollhouse is winning hands down.

·
Premium Member
15,952 Posts
A kitchen is a huge hit with my almost 4 year old dd1. We have a beautiful dolhouse from Magic Cabin that DH had to buy her, she doesn't touch it. Everyone always plays with the kitchen though.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Well, my vote is for the wooden kitchen.

My 9yo and 11yo dd's still play with theirs sometimes, and truth be told, even my 15 yo and 16 yo dds join in for a little while! LOL

I think a dollhouse is good for a little bit older child. In fact, my dd's didnt really appreciate them & take care of them until about 6 or 7yo.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
My kids are 7 and 5 and still play with the kitchen when they go downstairs to play. My DD2 is 11 months and starting to play with them also.

When my DD1 got her doll house at 2 years old she just wanted to climb it. LOL Then she loved it from about 4-5 (as did DS). She still plays with it some, but not quite as much.

·
Registered
391 Posts
My 3 yo DD got a dollhouse for christmas last year. She is actually in the floor playing with it now. Not a day has gone by that she hasn't played with it. I am making her a wooden kitchen for christmas this year. I would have to vote that the kitchen will be used longer. My 9 yo DD still loves to play kitchen. We have a cheap plastic one that we will get rid of when we get the new one this year. She has probably only played with the dollhouse 10 times in the last 11 months.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Another vote for the kitchen. DD (age 3) has both and plays far more with the kitchen. Her 7 y.o. brother also plays with it occasionally. It is great for social play. She may still "grow into" her dollhouse but I think I would pick a kitchen if we had to choose.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
My DS has a kitchen that we bought when he was about 22 months old. He has used it it every day since (he is 28 months now) We keep it in our kitchen so that helps... he cooks when DH and I do.

I will buy him a dollhouse for Christmas this year. He always plays with houses we make from Duplos and Duplo people, or Plan city people. I found some very gender neutral dollhouses to choose from for him.

So anyhow, my DS is a lot younger, but I already know the kitchen is a hit. The 4 yo range kids seem to really like the kitchens in the two Kids museums we go to. Hard choice...

·
Registered
6,938 Posts
Not to add to your confusion, but you might consider this Market Stand. I bought this for the DDs last year and both of them love it. You can use it for anything-- store, vet, library, or just to display things. They use it more than the wooden kitchen we have and more than the treehouse (we don't have a dollhouse) . . .but every child is so different!

·
Registered
5,848 Posts
I vote kitchen. Of course, I got DD a kitchen for her birthday, which she plays with often, and will be getting her a dollhouse--well, a castle, but that's just a themed doll house--for Christmas. Though I admit that's in part because I want to play with the castle myself!

·
Registered
863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks everyone!

Now do I dare ask what kind of kitchens everyone has?!!!

Mgilleran, way to go on making one! Dh does amazing woodworking when he has time and is motivated, but I can't convince him to make one for dd.
:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.