Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Premium Member
12,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
as my kids are getting older, I'm wondering if I need to lay off the Playful Parenting in public. I'm wondering if other parents find the same thing?

I was made aware of this over the weekend. Ds (8) had a friend over (also 8), whose parents have a fairly different parenting style. Dd (5) was whining because we'd made cupcakes and we had to wait for them to cool before frosting them. She kept saying "I want frosting, I can't wait".

I was getting irritated, so to lighten the mood, I tried doing my best Cookie Monster imitation "Frosting, me want frosting". Apparently I failed at Cookie Monster, because dd said "You sound like you're singing opera". So then I burst out operatically "Frosting! I want frosting!" and dd joined me.

Ds' friend was amused, but looked at me like I had two heads. My kids are used to this, but am I going to ruin ds' social life as he gets older by being too weird? He's got little enough of one as it is.

· Registered
6,138 Posts
I would only stop if my dc expressed embarrassment ("Mom! Please don't act all weird around my friends!!!").

My dd is 9, and her friends (from all sorts of families) love it when I get goofy and playful. Dd loves it, too. The more over-the-top, the better.

I wouldn't worry about the judgments of an 8 yo guest. If they have fun, they'll come back. Sounds like he had fun

· Registered
867 Posts
Ok, I'm cracking up because my mom was totally THAT mom. The playful parenting mom, before playful parenting had a name. You're going to be getting those looks a lot in the years ahead...

but seriously, it's okay if your kids' friends think you're weird. It won't ruin their social lives. My mom was the weirdest parent in the world, but my friends in high school used to call wanting to talk to her and get her advice. Kids look at them funny, but adults who act silly actually make kids feel more comfortable--and more willing to be kids themselves. Even teenagers.

Just my opinion.

· Banned
4,685 Posts
I think that is just fine. I am playful with my dd and her friend. They both think I am silly, but they also do what I ask them to do. I only stop the playful parenting when it isn't working and something specific needs to change quickly.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.