Mothering Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So DD was *quietly* playing in her crib so I thought.She usually sleeps with me but sometimes I put her in her crib to read etc before nap time..... I went to peek and there was poop everywhere!
fast: I have experience with this unfortunately and the health nurse told me to just remain calm and clean her and the bedroom (or playroom--while I was in the shower once) because if I yell it will make it worse. I feel like screaming at her.....but I didn't now I just feel like cryiing. What did I do to make her think playing with poop is okay???? (I haven't met any other moms who have dealt with this) When is it okay to get mad and yell? WHY ME??? While I was cleaning her in the tub I had to drain it and refill it so she (in a really cute little voice) says "bye bye poo poo"...... Just feeling like I did something wrong....I love her to pieces, nurse her, cosleep, bring her to lots of fun things and pay attention to her.....

·
Registered
832 Posts
lol

I think sometimes you just have to laugh. You did nothing wrong, and she didn't either. She just doesn't know better and was sooooo curious. Gotta love/hate that curiosity sometimes.

I've had ds diaperless after a bath, just for a few minutes, and he comes over to me and says "poopoo" and points at the pile on the floor he had just made.

One time when he was about 9 months old I heard him giggling in his room during naptime. So I peeked and he had gotten his diaper off and was discovering his penis.

I know health-wise playing in poop is worse... but chances are she's going to be just fine.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by mothragirl
maybe she's telling you its time to bust out the fingerpaint

My dd and I share a bed and I awoke one lovely morning to her "finger painting" ME with her poop
She had (very quietly) gotten her diaper off--I didn't even feel her move! So don't feel bad mama--it happens to the best of us!

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by lurable
My dd and I share a bed and I awoke one lovely morning to her "finger painting" ME with her poop
She had (very quietly) gotten her diaper off--I didn't even feel her move! So don't feel bad mama--it happens to the best of us!

:puke

·
Registered
3,329 Posts
I've so been there! DS (just turned 3) is very loved, attended to, played with, etc. I put him down for a nap, and I was listening over the monitor and he was quietly reading his books to himself and playing with his toys. I kept listening, heard some silence, some quiet, intermittent babbling...and then the word "POOP." Complete mother's instinct, I thought, "OMG, he's pooped and gotten into it!!" Sure enough, I ran up to his room, opened the door and there was poop - everywhere! He held up two hands COVERED with it and it was smeared on the walls, the bed, the bedding - everywhere!! I just stood there, blinking, not knowing where the heck to even START dealing with it! I grabbed a towel and threw it around him (like a burrito) and carried him into the bathroom. He had a look like he wasn't quite sure what he'd done was OK, but wasn't sure it was wrong either. During his bath I asked him why he'd done that and he said, "Mama, I wanted to fingerpaint."

I was calm, but told him to please, never EVER do that again, that poop could make him sick if he touched it and that we could finger paint with real paints. Hasn't been an issue since...

I swear it's a parental rite of passage!!!

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueStateMama
I've so been there! DS (just turned 3) is very loved, attended to, played with, etc. I put him down for a nap, and I was listening over the monitor and he was quietly reading his books to himself and playing with his toys. I kept listening, heard some silence, some quiet, intermittent babbling...and then the word "POOP." Complete mother's instinct, I thought, "OMG, he's pooped and gotten into it!!" Sure enough, I ran up to his room, opened the door and there was poop - everywhere! He held up two hands COVERED with it and it was smeared on the walls, the bed, the bedding - everywhere!! I just stood there, blinking, not knowing where the heck to even START dealing with it! I grabbed a towel and threw it around him (like a burrito) and carried him into the bathroom. He had a look like he wasn't quite sure what he'd done was OK, but wasn't sure it was wrong either. During his bath I asked him why he'd done that and he said, "Mama, I wanted to fingerpaint."

I was calm, but told him to please, never EVER do that again, that poop could make him sick if he touched it and that we could finger paint with real paints. Hasn't been an issue since...

Thank you for sharing this! I got a great chuckle! I am certain this will happen to us sooner or later.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Haha, you did nothing wrong..
Children are naturally curious individuals. It's how they learn.

I woke up one morning at 8 am... which was strange for me.. because my son at that time was usually up by 7 am crying to get out of his crib...

I walked down the hall to his room... opened the door.... and standing there with a big smile on his face was a butt naked picasso with a poopy diaper in one hand and a wall mural of brown smears and handprints infront of him.

There was poo EVERYWHERE... on his stomach.. his hair... his crib sheets.. his blankets... I didn't even know where to start.

I ended up just putting him in the bath tub and washing the walls down while he cleaned himself off in the tub.

I wanted to scream soooo badly. I ended up calling my mother to vent it out and she told me that I did the exaccctttt same thing in my washroom as a child...

I guess pretty much every child does it.

·
Banned
972 Posts
In this case, I'm the poop artist! LOL!

My mom says my grandmother had potty trained me perfectly. And inept wild child that my mom was-- she managed to un-potty train me poste haste. Her reward? Finding me fishing poo out of the toilet, and then smearing it on the walls! Now my daughter's being potty trained. She hasn't touched her poop yet-- but I know my day is gonna come. Children are curious and artistic, so this lucky streak just can not last. LOL!

Don't worry mama. I think the poop thing is a common rite of passage.

Faith

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueStateMama

Oh please no! I don't want to be part of that rite!

No poop painting yet...crossing my fingers...

·
Registered
5,936 Posts
I agree perfectly normal. Luke has really been trying to play with his as of late and he really wants to dip his butt in the toilet and stick his hand in there, why oh why, it is so frustrating.

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
I think we might be getting closer to poop play...
DS is LOVING peeing anywhere and everywhere he can. As soon as I do a diaper change, or get him ready for his bath, he goes nuts. He loves the naked feeling and he'll pee everywhere and do the hose thing --- holding his thing and peeing as if he is watering the flowers. Sometimes he'll giggle mid-pee and look at me. Then, the grosser part -- he'll try and clean it up with his hands. Yikes.
:

·
Registered
374 Posts
I am 38 years old and my mother still loves to tell me about my adventure with fingerpainting-with my POOP!
Believe me, she never felt that she had done anything to encourage this behavior. She just thinks I am a freak and loves to tell me to "just wait till your son does it for you!" as if the apple doesn't fall far from the tree!

Hopefully, this isn't to uncommon. I don't think it is deviant behavior or baby-rebellion. I would like to think that I turned out okay and I am sure your child will too!

Hang in there. Since I have no memory of my "fingerpainting" days, I can assue you it will only be temporary!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.