Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've seen this alot and while I've done a few searches I can't for the life of me find something I can understand. I'm very tired

Also, can someone with experience suggest whether this is more an allergy or a lactose intolerance?
-runny nose within an hour of consuming hidden dairy
-runny nose within 12 hours of nursing after I've consumed dairy
-ear infection within 48 hours of consuming "big dairy" (milk, cheese) (Note: she's had EIGHT EIs since July 08; 6 before I stumbled upon the dairy/EI connection)
-screaming fits throughout the night after consuming even hidden dairy
-increased congestion for days after consuming any dairy, hidden or "big"
-general nightmarish disposition
-cradle cap since this past August. Better with fish oil in diet but can't get it to go away.

Thanks!!

·
Registered
2,566 Posts
Definately an allergy or intollerance, not a lactose issue. I cannot explain in detail what the different antibody terms stand for, but IgE indicates an allergy that could potentially be life threatening. This is the type of allergy that can result in hives, trouble breathing and the worst case scenario of full blown anaphylaxis. People with IgE allergies should have an epi-pen with them at all times on the off chance an exposure happens that becomes dangerous. The alternative - IgG - indicates a lower level allergy that can result in GI issues, sleep problems, other health problems, behavior problems, etc. but are not dangerous in terms of being life threatening.

·
Premium Member
8,750 Posts
Yep, Mary pretty much covered it for you.

That definitely is NOT a lactose intolerance. But don't be confused- a dairy intolerance and lactose intolerance are not the same thing. Lactose intolerance means that your body lacks lactase enzymes to break down the lactose in the milk, and it usually causes just digestive symptoms. It's confusing, because it's called lactose "intolerance", but is not at all the same thing as a food intolerance.

Food allergies and intolerances can cause all sorts of symptoms- from digestive, skin problems (eczema, cradle cap, hives, rashes), sleep and behavior problems, etc. IgE and IgG are just two of the many antibodies that can mediate an allergic reaction.

Check out my blog (link in sig). I think I have a little more info there about the different types of allergies.

·
Registered
5,851 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mommy2Haley View Post
I've seen this alot and while I've done a few searches I can't for the life of me find something I can understand. I'm very tired

Also, can someone with experience suggest whether this is more an allergy or a lactose intolerance?
-runny nose within an hour of consuming hidden dairy
-runny nose within 12 hours of nursing after I've consumed dairy
-ear infection within 48 hours of consuming "big dairy" (milk, cheese) (Note: she's had EIGHT EIs since July 08; 6 before I stumbled upon the dairy/EI connection)
-screaming fits throughout the night after consuming even hidden dairy
-increased congestion for days after consuming any dairy, hidden or "big"
-general nightmarish disposition
-cradle cap since this past August. Better with fish oil in diet but can't get it to go away.

Thanks!!
IgE is a particular type of immune response. It's also the kind of allergy that medical doctors/allergists test for, a "true" allergy. There are other types of immune responses, like IgG, but conventional docs don't know much about them and tend to downplay them.

What you describe doesn't sound like lactose intolerance at all. Lactose intolerance is when a person lacks the enzyme to digest lactose, a milk SUGAR. Reactions would be gastrointestinal. Allergies/other intolerances are usually to milk PROTEINS. They range from skin reactions (hives, eczema, cradle cap) to gastro reactions (diarrhea, gas, blood in stool) to respiratory ones, like you're describing, an excess production of mucus from consuming the offending food.

Oh, and the protein reactions I just described can go for any food, not just dairy. We've got allergies to corn, wheat, eggs, dairy, soy and more at our house, all with a mix of those reactions when consumed.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.