Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok i watch alot of news but i still dont know what going on!! whic hezbollah isreal or iran or whomever is involved can sombody please explain this to me in layman's terms!! if you have the time...

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
There is a war. People are dying. It is not funny.

·
Registered
5,018 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by BelovedBird
There is a war. People are dying. It is not funny.
I agree. Beloved Bird.

Sweetpea, I hope someone can come and answer your question in a matter of fact way. I'm interested in hearing one myself so I'm subbing.

·
Registered
4,237 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by sweetpea333
ok i understand, im a tiny bit sensitive today...
It *is* all rather complicated, but not so complicated that someone can't understand.

The problem is, it really can't be explained in three paragraphs or less. If you are trully interested in being informed then you are going to have to take some time to read.

Please see this thread. It may at least give you an idea of where to start asking more questions.

Of course you won't get it all on MDC, but you will get opposing viewpoints and lots of history and some basic foundation of knowledge from which you can begin to draw some conclusions, or at least better formed questions.

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
OMG. I didn't just read that. I just didn't.

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
Quote:
Hugs mama.... I had dh explain it to me as he understands it- and it is confusing.... I will try my best PLEASE correct me if I am wrong....I am just trying to help out and do NOT want to offend ANYONE!.

Hezzbollah is a terrorist organization.
They attacked or kidnapped a soldier from Israel????l
Israel is fighting back and trying to kill Hezzbolah- but many many many civilians are being killed- and not many hezzbolah?

Can anyone tell me about Israel?
dh tried.... he said America put Jewish people there after WWII so trhey had somewhere to go- and it is the land that holds 2 very important religous symbols- places? Muslim and Christian?

OK. was that all way off? Or do i get the jist of something so complicated i will never understand?

Lets just say maybe you should start over and try again.....after you've done some research.

·
Registered
6,832 Posts
ok i thought the core of it was: lots of people are fighting because they've pretty much always been fighting... ??

:

is it just me or is no-one here actually ANSWERING the OP? it seems like all she's getting is brush-offs and the ONE person who made an attempt was shot down w/ derision and scorn.
:

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aura_Kitten
ok i thought the core of it was: lots of people are fighting because they've pretty much always been fighting... ??

:

is it just me or is no-one here actually ANSWERING the OP? it seems like all she's getting is brush-offs and the ONE person who made an attempt was shot down w/ derision and scorn.
:
Maybe she should read the thread linked and do some research on her own. What a thought!? Research on one's own.

And no the post I did not read was not the only one to offer help to the OP. She can also search here on MDC. Try beliefnet or wikipedia... the possibilities for research (on one's own) are almost endless.

·
Registered
4,237 Posts
Aura_Kitten this is a complicated issue, it takes a long time to search out links and provide back up for claims. It's not unreasonable to expect an adult to do their own research, while giving them a starting point. I tried to give her a starting point. As Beloved Bird pointed out Wikipedia is also a good starting point, though BY NO STRETCH should someone base their conclusions or opinions on it, but it is often a good place to at least get enough of a foundation to start asking questions and finding answers.

·
Registered
7,110 Posts
the problem with trying to research on ones own is that it is in speak that is really hard to understand. obviosly.
I have been at mdc for a long time. I am disgusted at the reply I got for posting on something i do not understand..... and i am really sad that women can not find it in their hearts to be kinder when we who are not as smart or all knowing as some want to know. REALLY. she could research on her own??? isnt that sort of what she was doing by asking the question?

really. this is so sad.
i am expecting an apology.

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
OP: here's a link that gives a brief history of the Israeli-Palestinian conflict:

http://www.mideastweb.org/briefhistory.htm

I just skimmed it but it doesn't seem to have a noticeable pro-Israel or pro-Palestinian bias. It covers everything from the history of Judah and Israel to the current conflict (scroll all the way down for that).

My apologies if this is not a good source, it looks OK from what I can tell, I just wanted to give the OP what she is looking for and it seemed like a useful place to start. One caveat is that MOST sources regarding the conflict(s) in the Middle East will have a discernible bias, so it's best to read from many different sources before drawing one's own conclusions.

Emilie, um, you might want to check out that link, too. Americans did not "put" the Jewish people in Israel, for instance...I think your DH is a little confused.

HTH, and if it doesn't, I'm sorry...just hate to see the thread devolve

Wikipedia is also probably a good place to go, have no idea what the biases might be on that site...it could change from day to day following the nature of a wiki, I guess.

·
Registered
7,110 Posts
no- that is in my words..... i said it wrong. he basically said that 2 different peoples want the same land? ans something to do with united nations after wwII. i do not understand any of it- so i should not have posted. i too like the op would like to know more.... simply because i think it is important to be aware of the world around us.... unfortunately from the response i feel as if i will not get it anyway- and asking questions will just recvieve hostility.....
so i will go back to my life of being unaware.

I am sorry... i really am.... i am sorry for offending and for sounding dumb.... i am sorry for even thinking i could engage in a conversation to learn something. I posted clearly that i was NOT informed....

i am just sorry....

·
Registered
4,237 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Emilie
the problem with trying to research on ones own is that it is in speak that is really hard to understand. obviosly.
I have been at mdc for a long time. I am disgusted at the reply I got for posting on something i do not understand..... and i am really sad that women can not find it in their hearts to be kinder when we who are not as smart or all knowing as some want to know. REALLY. she could research on her own??? isnt that sort of what she was doing by asking the question?

really. this is so sad.
i am expecting an apology.
What is hard to understand? I offered a link to something right here on MDC. Wikipedia is not written in difficult to understand terms, usually its very simple language.

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Emilie, there's no reason to stay unaware - did you look at the link I posted?

It's a complicated issue. There's no shame in not understanding it. I don't claim to understand it and I usually refrain from giving opinions on it because it all just makes me
: . BUT I think it would be good to read a little on it just so you kind of know the "big issues". Because these issues are not going to go away and they affect all of us.

The reason you got the response that you did is that it sounded offensive (I know you did not mean it that way) to sum things up as you did with such inaccuracy - I mean, if I were an Israeli, I'd be pretty insulted to think that someone thought I was just plunked down there after WW2 because I had nowhere else to go.

Anyway, don't take it personally. Take this as an opportunity to learn! If you lurk on threads around here you will also get both (actually, many) sides of these issues.

·
Registered
7,110 Posts
i learn easier by having a conversation.... one reason i like mdc- i could look up info on bf and hb.... i just enjoy talking about it with others....
i am really upset about the tone here.... wow.

·
Registered
5,018 Posts
A lot of people learn best by talking to others and asking questions. I wish I could provide you with a link I just found sweetpea, but my computer has decided for some reason to not show me the addresses of sites I'm looking at
. But anyway, I found some pretty good and easy to understand info on the National Geographic site. You might want to check that out.

A huge gigantic part of the problems here, there, and everywhere is the rash and cruel way people can be when not communicating effectively. A lot of people don't understand what's going on in Isreal and Lebanon because they simply haven't learned it yet! Discussion is a good thing and should be encouraged. I think it's awful that people should be afraid to even ask questions. But I suppose, in an ironic sort of way, it's a good first lesson.

·
Registered
4,237 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Emilie
no- that is in my words..... i said it wrong. he basically said that 2 different peoples want the same land? ans something to do with united nations after wwII. i do not understand any of it- so i should not have posted. i too like the op would like to know more.... simply because i think it is important to be aware of the world around us.... unfortunately from the response i feel as if i will not get it anyway- and asking questions will just recvieve hostility.....
so i will go back to my life of being unaware.

I am sorry... i really am.... i am sorry for offending and for sounding dumb.... i am sorry for even thinking i could engage in a conversation to learn something. I posted clearly that i was NOT informed....

i am just sorry....
Honestly, I find your attitude disturbing. Of course we would like you to be informed, it benefits all of us when each individual is able to think critically and understand their world. But at the same time, you're an adult, to say that you would just prefer to remain ignorant rather than spend a little time googling so that you could ask more informed questions (which would likely illicit more detailed responses) does not say to me that you value knowledge.

There are at least four threads on this topic right here on the first page of this forum.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.