Mothering Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am soooooooo tired of nursing DS!
I'm not having any particular problems or anything, I just don't want to do it anymore! (but I will)
I am tired of being grabbed and pinched and twiddled! And I am just plain TIRED!
It feels like he is ordering me around! I can't even lay down and rest without him yanking my shirt up.
I can NOT do CLW! Just the idea of two more years of this (or more) makes me
I just want the strength to make it until next spring.

Please remind me why I'm doing this!

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Mama!
I know what is is like to be all touched out!!! It helps me to just take a deep breath, close my eyes, and realize what a wonderful thing I am doing for my dd. Sometimes I will also pop her off and offer to cuddle before letting her finish with her "na nas" and even if it is a 10 second break it really helps my frame of mind. HTH and here's another

·
Registered
473 Posts
Hang in there!! I have those same feelings, but I try to remember it won't last forever and they do get big SO fast!! This is a very special, short time you have with your dc. These moments are precious and, even though right now you are going crazy, you will look back on this time and only remember the special closeness you shared. As tough as it is, it is even MORE difficult to parent without nursing. It is a gift only you can give. I didn't nurse my first 3 dc and it is something I really wish I could change
You are doing a really great, important thing.

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by crissei
I just don't want to do it anymore! (but I will)
Hard to put their needs before our own sometimes, huh?
It IS hard. You're doing great. It is totally normal to feel this way. You aren't the first and you won't be the last. You'll be writing this post one day to some other mama who needs the hugs and reassurances. Look at how far you've come. Look at the love, bonding, comfort, and nourishment you've provided that lucky babe. All kids should be so lucky.
Don't make yourself nuts, but I see from your own post that you have it in you to keep on keeping on. If you are ambivilant, you aren't ready to stop. It is when you absolutely hate it, and I do mean that ever so strong word of hate-when you absolutely HATE it, it isn't a good idea anymore (for mama's sake). You aren't there yet. You're just tired, and rightly so. Get your dh or partner involved, heck, involve as many helpers as you can. Get some YOU time, alone to yourself (and no, that does not mean go get groceries alone or take a bath). I'm always big on the mama's health too-up everything-your water intake, vits/mins, and proteins. Get some good rest, even if it is leaving the house dirty and napping w/babe. And hang in there. This is NOT forever. It really does fly by, though it doesn't feel like it when you're living it.
Oh, and if I read the birth date correctly, you can totally start setting some gentle limits, for your own sanity.

·
Premium Member
12,185 Posts
I started a similar thread when ds was just under two, if memory serves. I spent a few days standing instead of sitting because I couldn't stand to be crawled on every time I sat down.

Now, things are much better - he's 2.5, nursing still but not as often, and more active with his sister and more interested in playing outdoors. Could you try to set up a new routine with your ds? Novelty can distract from nursing if you need a break. A new toy, or a CD (try the library) or going on a walk or playing outside can all be a way to redirect his energy. I think sometimes they nurse when they're bored! And you have a right to meet your own needs, too. Chances are you'll nurse longer if you don't feel totally overwhelmed by his needs.

·
Registered
42,824 Posts
That's a hard age. Work on nursing manners. IT GETS BETTER. Really. I HATED nursing dd for a run there, but within the last few months it's nice again. She really is sweet about it now. Makes up for all the pinching and twiddling and such a few months back.

-Angela

·
Registered
594 Posts
You are SO not alone, sweetie. I'm in the same boat right now but we just keep plugging along because seriously? We KNOW... deep down... that we're doing the right thing, don't we? Sure, my boobs have been mauled for the past 32 months but 32 years from now it'll seem like a flash in the pan....

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
I was going to start my own thread this morning but decided not to. I mean, I already know that I'm not going to wean, I know that we will get through this (I hope anyways) and I know that there are others like me out there. So, thank you for posting.

DD and I had the worst night last night. She is staying latched on all the time, switching back and forth, twiddling, pinching, scratching and full out hitting if I try to unlatch her even for a moment. Last night I got a full slap across the face. I know it's not intentional but when you're just lying there trying to not pick up your daughter and physically remove her from your body because you are getting the major willies and you just want one second to yourself it's so hard not to feel like you are totally being taken advantage of
. If I do unlatch her, she screams at the top of her lungs. And I can't believe how loud she is.

I'm just tired of the hitting, the tantrums during the day, the clinginess, the hands pulling at my shirt, the tired cranky baby because she's transistioning to one nap. I'm just plain tired. But I love my daughter and that's why I will do what I can to get a break, rejuvinate myself and continue to nurse.

Hopefully things get better for you.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Hugs honey. When I feel like there is nothing left for him to be sucking he wants more! Not all days are like that but everyonce in a while... I havn't really felt as strong about it is you becasue we had a four month TERRIABLE start so I am still happy that is is working problem free. If it helps, think of all the mamas who tried and it did not work out or look at how beautiful strong happy and healthy your child is and know that that is all from you! It always makes me feel better when DS is sucking EVERYTHING out of me ALL night everynight now at 15 monthes,Good luck, we have all been there!

·
Registered
473 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mama to one
I was going to start my own thread this morning but decided not to. I mean, I already know that I'm not going to wean, I know that we will get through this (I hope anyways) and I know that there are others like me out there. So, thank you for posting.

DD and I had the worst night last night. She is staying latched on all the time, switching back and forth, twiddling, pinching, scratching and full out hitting if I try to unlatch her even for a moment. Last night I got a full slap across the face. I know it's not intentional but when you're just lying there trying to not pick up your daughter and physically remove her from your body because you are getting the major willies and you just want one second to yourself it's so hard not to feel like you are totally being taken advantage of
. If I do unlatch her, she screams at the top of her lungs. And I can't believe how loud she is.

I'm just tired of the hitting, the tantrums during the day, the clinginess, the hands pulling at my shirt, the tired cranky baby because she's transistioning to one nap. I'm just plain tired. But I love my daughter and that's why I will do what I can to get a break, rejuvinate myself and continue to nurse.

Hopefully things get better for you.
I feel like this too!! Please, mommas, WHEN DOES IT GET BETTER????? My ds is almost 21 mos and he nurses MORE THAN EVER!! No quitting here, either, though. He obviously *needs* me

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by EastonsMom
Hugs honey. When I feel like there is nothing left for him to be sucking he wants more! Not all days are like that but everyonce in a while... I havn't really felt as strong about it is you becasue we had a four month TERRIABLE start so I am still happy that is is working problem free. If it helps, think of all the mamas who tried and it did not work out or look at how beautiful strong happy and healthy your child is and know that that is all from you! It always makes me feel better when DS is sucking EVERYTHING out of me ALL night everynight now at 15 monthes,Good luck, we have all been there!
I honestly think that is what keeps me going the most.

I think back to those first three months when I was pumping for DS, when he was still in the NICU and, later at home when he was still unable to nurse.
I worked SO hard! "Past me" would kick my "Present me" butt, if I complained to much!

·
Registered
42,824 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by just6fish
I feel like this too!! Please, mommas, WHEN DOES IT GET BETTER????? My ds is almost 21 mos and he nurses MORE THAN EVER!! No quitting here, either, though. He obviously *needs* me
For us the manners got a LOT better right around there- 21 or 22 months. All of a sudden she was sweet and would respect my wishes.

-Angela

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by alegna
For us the manners got a LOT better right around there- 21 or 22 months. All of a sudden she was sweet and would respect my wishes.

-Angela
Ack!!! 6 more months!! Give me strength
Actually, I've been making a conscious effort to show dd gentle ways to ask to nurse and have been pretty successful the past two days in covering up the "other side" so that there isn't much twiddling going on. We still have a long way to go but we'll get there.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.