Mothering Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would love to hs my 6 year old starting 1st grade next year. My reasons are the usual: want to keep family close, be able to participate in guiding and directing him both socially and educationally. The other major reason (the one I present to dh and will give to family who will protest the decision) is that although I can't say for sure if he is gifted, don't care, but he is quite far ahead. I had the Peabody test administered to him and he is up in the 5-6th grade range in reading/spelling and almost 4th for math. These results were surprisingly high to me. But it helped to quanitify his abilities and it may help my argument a bit. That argument basically is "how could we possibly send him all day to school when there will be little time to supplement his interests". My husband's big argument is tha ds is in a spanish immersion school and dh is from Spain (speaks to the kids in Spanish from day 1, mil,fil, and sil all spark Spanish as well so to me the immersion program is irrelavent. They would all just have to pitch in for his language education).<br>
But...<br>
I have two other little boys ages 3.5 and 1. Last week I was surpried to find out that we are expecting #4 in January. I have been in an on going debate with dh over this, and now I feel this pregnancy is a real blow to my cause. Is it going to even be possible? Ds is very self motivated so I thing educationally it'll be somewhat easy. Socially there will need to be some effort on my part. He likes the interaction with the other children at school so I'll need to provide plenty of that.<br><br>
How can I do this and even more important how can I convince dh that this is not a rediculous idea.<br><br>
Just to add, we don't have much money!<br><br>
Thanks for the insight!<br>
Amy

·
Registered
2,924 Posts
The first thing I would do is print off a copy of the standards per grade level for your area. Evaluate your ds compared to those. After you check off all the boxes, you can show that even if you do NOTHING, there's no reason to send him to school at this point. It sounds like he's pretty far ahead, so maybe you can do that for several grade levels.<br><br>
Then, I would argue just letting him keep going like he is, since he's doing so well. Be sure to provide plenty of reading material, and pick up a math and writing cirriculum somewhere (there's pretty good free stuff on the internet), and you should be pretty well good to go.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts