Mothering Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, this is super embarrassing, but I just read the "what do you not eat" thread and all I could think of that we don't eat is pretty much anything that doesn't come out of a package. We are a processed food family and I know that's bad, but I don't even know why! Help me!!!

We really want to eat better...
Can you please tell me why you don't eat sugar, processed foods, hydrogrogenated stuff, bleached stuff, etc....

Please just explain it to me like I am five
:

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
I think everyone would have a slightly different answer to that question. I don't do processed foods because 1) I want to make my & DS's immune system as strong as possible (I grew up on boxed foods and have seen the impact they can have on immunity). Eating sugar suppresses the immune system, as does eating anything that is not natural like dyes and preservatives because your body is wasting energy and nutrients trying to digest and cleanse those artificial things out of your body. 2) I want to lower our risk of heart disease and cancer, which both run in our family. Hydrogenated oils are a BIG cause of heart disease. 3) I don't trust a huge corporation to be honest about ingredients and the safety of their product, the FDA is not pressuring food company's to put out truly healthy products, and they aren't required to prove the safety of additives before they get FDA approval, this is how we get things like neon green twinkies on the shelves. :LOL

·
Registered
574 Posts
I am really struggling with our eating, too. It isn't my husband so much....he's a sous chef in a French restaurant and definately prefers to cook/bake from scratch at home, unfortunately, he isn't home in the evenings and I always end up opening up a box or ordering a pizza because I am too tired to cook.
: Even when I do cook, it isn't that great....ie, chicken breasts thrown into a casserole dish with a seasoned box rice and maybe a vegetable. God. I am more than aware of the impact of crap eating on our bodies, but I haven't stopped polluting not only my body, but my children as well. I seriously think junk food is a drug. I am addicted to sugar, bad ass fats, and salt.

I just ordered a colon cleansing kit (because I am certain I have a tapeworm!!) and I know I must make a change in our eating. This is it. An ounce of prevention, right?!

·
Registered
11,576 Posts
Food is difficult issue for our family. We eat healthy for awhile and then when something stressful happens, we start eating junk again. We just moved cross country and became a junk food family for a couple of months, so now I'm trying to get us back to eating healthy food.

For my family, I find that when we eat processed foods we over eat. It's like we never really get full, or we get hungry again really fast. When we eat whole foods we get full faster and stay full longer. This is a huge issue because both my DH and I are overweight and one of my children is a little chubby. The processed foods are also mostly empty calories, so not only do we eat too much (and get too many calories), we aren't even getting what we need from what we eat!

When we are in junk food mode, we are not eating the foods we need. The recommendation is for 6-9 serving of fruits and vegies a day. If we are having crap to eat, there just isn't room left for all that produce

The other thing I've noticed is that the more junk my kids eat, the less of an appetite they have for healthy foods. It just doesn't taste good to them.

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
I (and my family) don't eat refined or processed foods because they are an inferior source of nutrition. Our bodies need nutients to stay strong and healthey, and fight off diseases. When we lack nutrition are bodies defenses weaken. White flour, white sugar, canned vegetables/fruits, refined cooking oils have all been depleated of their minerals and vitamins through processing. There's just no nutrition in them. When you eat them you are feeding you belly, not your body.

Our bodies are not designed to process chemical preservatives and additives. It's hard on our digestive system and as a result a whole host of ailments are experienced. Everything we eat is made from scratch so I know what's in it and what's not. Pre-packaged foods are also full of added sugar and salt, which also add to health problems.

abbylotus, why doesn't your husband bring you home food from the night before? I would love it if my dh was a chef, and a chef who prefers to cook from scratch.

·
Registered
574 Posts
cjr...Unfortunately, there aren't really leftovers from the restaurant where my DH works. It is a high end French restaurant and they make the food to order, therefore, there isn't anything left. Occasionally, he is able to take home lobster, tuna, lamb that is perfectly fine for consumption but can't be sold for whatever reason. The executive chef (and owner) take home the "goodies" for the most part! :LOL

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
If you cook it from scratch, it's most likely going to be healthy.

Just look at the food you eat from now on and imagine what the components of that food are. If you don't know where its ingredients came from or what they even are, you shouldn't be eating it. Try and imagine that food broken down into its whole state. If you can't, don't eat it.

Like ice cream, for example. You have your more whole version which would include cream, sugar, maybe egg, maybe flavored with real fruit or chocolate. Pretty simple, yummy, whole. It may not be great for your figure but you know your body can process those things easily. But then imagine a soft serve frosty from Wendy's. What the heck is soft serve anyway? I just know it's made from a powder. Have no clue how they do it or what chemistry experiments were involved. So I have no idea what it's natural state is. Does that make sense? Same goes for pretty much everything you eat.

Also try reading ingredients on all of your food. Get rid of anything with partially/fully hydrogenated fats (which solidify in your body causing heart disease later) and get rid of anything with food dyes (these are unnecessary chemicals). Start with not allowing those things. Once your comfortable eliminating those from your diet, start working on eliminating anything with an ingredient you are unfamiliar with, like sodium benzoate or titanium dioxide or sucralose or aspartame or sodium nitrite or high fructose corn syrup and you get the idea. All of those little ingredients that are hard to pronounce at the end of the ingredient list usually aren't good for you.

Check out this web site all about bad grocery ingredients - www.grocerywarning.org.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the good info!

Abbylotus- my hubby is an ex-chef. He got out of it b/c of the hours with family and stuff-I don't know how you do it! Anyway- people always say to me- oh! Your so lucky... he must cook all the time! LOL Don't you love serving them up boxed food for dinner?

·
Premium Member
1,940 Posts
Well, I grew up eating food cooked from scratch, so it's easy for me to keep doing that. I do have packaged foods and some frozen entrees ready though, for DH to cook when I'm not feeling well (which is quite frequently unfortunately). I really don't think eating healthy foods means you'll automatically be healthy. I eat tons of veggies, make my own organic bread, don't eat much junkfood or sweet things, don't drink coffee, pop...etc. It still doesn't make me any healthier than a lot of people I know who live on junk food. Life is not always fair. I do think foods cooked from scratch taste better, and the smell of baking and cooking make my home sweeter.

·
Registered
586 Posts
I grew up eating boxed/canned stuff. I cook damn near everything from scratch these days. No white sugar, only organic sugar now. No white all-purpose flour, only organic unbleached and organic wheat flour- unless I use organic flax seed meal. As a kid I never felt healthy and, whenever I requested my mom buy from fruit or veggies, she'd complain they were 'too expensive' while piling boxes of cake and brownie mix into the shopping cart. When my dad and I went shopping we'd get healthy cereals, we'd get tons of fruit and veggies- and then, as I devoured the fruit, my mom would complain that he wasted good money on veggies- and would refuse to cook them.

Anyway, I wanted my kids to be able to eat foods that nourish their bodies and minds and are the best thing I can offer them. They have their entire lives ahead of them to choose to eat junk food and it's my responsibility to offer them healthful food until they are at the age where they can choose for themselves. My mom is still weird about food- my dh and I made a box of healthful foods that my ds is allowed to eat over there- and nothing else. Sounds extreme, but she has either fat free (which we don't agree with; if something naturally has fat, you use an unnatural process to remove it), sugar free (which is okay until natural sugars are replaced with artificial ones), etc. Things that aren't healthy for anybody, let alone little growing bodies!

I cook from scratch and lately have been on a soup kick. I have an awesome cookbook called Soups from Barnes and Noble- best cookbook I've ever gotten- and everyone's loving the soups! I freeze a spaghetti jar full every time I make a soup and we eat what's left. Now we have a dozen different soups in the deep freezer, waiting for a day that I don't feel like cooking- if that ever happens!

Good luck with your research- sometimes they more you know the less you'll want to know.

·
Registered
4,482 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Linda on the move
The other thing I've noticed is that the more junk my kids eat, the less of an appetite they have for healthy foods. It just doesn't taste good to them.
Bear in mind that the opposite is true, too. Once you get used to eating the good stuff, the junk food will start to taste, well, junky. Even if it does hit the spot in the moment, you will feel the effects later on -- you'll feel sluggish, or nauseated, or constipated, or just off, as if your body is telling you not to feed it that crap again.

I have had to radically (albeit gradually) change my eating habits. I grew up eating cream-of-soup-casseroles and Hamburger Helper and good solid Midwestern meat and potatoes meals. Luckily, I learned to cook somewhere along the way and started experimenting with foods, and discovered that my tastes are pretty varied and I actually like stuff that doesn't come out of a box. But it's still only in the past few years that I've really begun to move away from the white sugars/flours, some of the processed snack foods (like crackers with trans fats, for example), and into whole foods/organics. I'm still not quite as far along as I'd like, but am doing OK. My rule of thumb is to try to keep foods as close to their natural state as possible (i.e., I eat cheese, but it's organic or locally-made Amish cheddar, not processed cheese slices; I enjoy fish, but buy wild salmon and poach it instead of Mrs. Paul's fish sticks, etc.) and to cook as much as possible from scratch, like so many others have posted. Try some things homemade -- salad dressing, for example. It just tastes so much better than the store-bought, and you know exactly what's in it, of course. And it's usually less expensive to MYO.

Gotta run; it's naptime, but I HTH. Good luck!
~Nick

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by VikingKvinna
Bear in mind that the opposite is true, too. Once you get used to eating the good stuff, the junk food will start to taste, well, junky. Even if it does hit the spot in the moment, you will feel the effects later on -- you'll feel sluggish, or nauseated, or constipated, or just off, as if your body is telling you not to feed it that crap again....
~Nick
This is so true. I used to live off of fast food but since swearing it off almost completely (thanks to 'Supersize Me') I can't even stand to eat it anymore. I don't like the taste or the smell of it and I feel so incredibly sluggish afterwards. I crave freshly cooked vegetables now.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
VikingKvinna said:
I grew up eating cream-of-soup-casseroles and Hamburger Helper and good solid Midwestern meat and potatoes meals. Luckily, I learned to cook somewhere along the way and started experimenting with foods, and discovered that my tastes are pretty varied and I actually like stuff that doesn't come out of a box.
This is exactly how I grew up. A lot was convenience foods... processed, boxed, canned, etc...and to this day, my mom still makes stuff from boxes or cans but has gotten better since she developed diabetes and has been somewhat following the "South Beach Diet". But the other day, she gave me this "Supper Bakes" stuff that just made me want to :puke...I couldn't believe what was in there. Meat in a can, that doesn't go bad...?????? Ick.

Then I met DH, and my now FIL. He opened my eyes to a whole new way, and the art of cooking. I didn't even know what fresh garlic tasted like until I met his family for the first time. I just about cried. I didn't know even there was olive oil...just canola or vegetable oil and you only used it in baking. Spices! And imagine making your own spaghetti/marinara sauce! I thought wine was for drinking only, not cooking as well!

Sometimes, I look back on the thousands of fish sticks, meatloaf with ketchup, hot dog/macaroni and cheese casserole thing, and the hockey puck burgers on the grill I ate growing up. Casseroles and that insane deadly-cheesy-potatoe dish that everyone is so gung ho on at family gatherings (which is just frozen hash browns, a pound of butter, american cheese and cornflakes). Now I can see where my weight problem began.

I do have to give my mom credit though, for making her own baby food and canning from her garden when my sis and I were babes...apparently I had an affinity for beets.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.