Mothering Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I'm at a loss of what to do. I've really enjoyed co-sleeping until recently. My 16 week old baby was starting to sleep pretty darn good up until a couple of weeks ago. She had been falling into a nice deep sleep at around 7pm and would sleep for about 3-4 hrs, followed by waking once or twice more briefly ( I would side-lie nurse and go right back to sleep) and then she'd almost always be fitful come 4-5am.

Now, she wakes a few times when I first put her down, as though she can't get comfortable. She'd been sleeping on her tummy since 8 weeks but now she'll wake up fidgeting, trying to change positions and consequently getting frustrated because she can't roll. She won't sleep on her back and sleeping on her side works for short times. She's waking more frequently throughout the night now and won't settle until I give her the boob. Sometimes I have to hold her as well. I basically don't sleep from 3;30/4am on because she's either squirming, waking up, grunting, scratching the sheets, nursing while I hold her, etc...

Putting her in the crib (it's in our room) doesn't work. I've tried soothing her back to sleep without nursing - doesn't work. I just don't know if this is a phase ( Wonder week?) she'll snap out of or if there's something I'm doing wrong. ( I won't do CIO or anything like that )

Anyone having or had anything similar with their LO?? Did you do anything to help your baby sleep better or am I just doomed to being sleep deprived for the long haul??

Thanks is advance to anyone who reads this long post and can offer any words of advice.

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
I don't know that you're doomed, but I will say that I think 3-4 months is when you start to really discover your baby's sleep personality once the newborn period is really worn off. Four months is also an infamous period for sleep regression. I would advise you to ride through a few more nights and see what happens. Maybe she'll go back to normal, or pass through to a new normal. She may need a change in bedtime, wind-down routine or sleeping arrangement. I found with my first that periods of really poor sleep were a sign that she was ready to move forward. Try to take advantage of that.

I'm actually right there with you with a 15 week old, conked out in my arms as we speak. She only liked to sleep latched on or chest to chest, so consider yourself lucky ;). Hoping to see her sleep mature s bit in the coming month, but I'm guessing I'll have to pay for it.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for your response newmamalizzy! I'm sorry to hear your situation isn't any better.

I wish I knew what "moving forward" means in her situation but I haven't a clue. Waiting for my Maternal intuition to kick in :wink:

I should also mention that for the first 3 months of her life I basically held her for almost every nap because she had HORRIBLE gas and reflux and that was the only way she could nap. Same thing at 3-4am when she got her AM gas attacks. I'm wondering if she is now more aware of her body and just feels uncomfortable being elsewhere than my arms. If so, surely she'll grow out of that, right!!?? The question is, WHEN?

Hope your LO's sleep matures soon! Just curious if you have any methods you plan on using to help her broaden her sleep locations... Would you mind sharing if so?

·
Registered
424 Posts
I have decided that trying to find rhyme or reason in baby sleep is an exercise in futility and will make you go crazy. It was probably about that age when my DD started sleeping like crap. From about 9-16 weeks she was doing a 4-6 hour stretch and then waking every 2 hours or so after that. Then she started waking more like every 1.5 hours, but the start of the night was worse - she might last only 30 mins before the first waking. I agonized over her sleep for months, and it's the only thing I regret from her first year of life. When I wasn't obsessing I just went to bed at the same time as her, bed-shared, nursed on demand throughout the night, and tried not to look at the clock. I survived - even through times of her waking every 30-45 mins. She's 15 months now and her sleep finally got better around her birthday and she can now do a 5-7 hour stretch at the start of the night.

I hope your baby's poor sleep doesn't last as long as mine, but sometimes it's like that. I agree with the PP that a baby's sleep personality doesn't seem to become clear until after 4 months. My baby is just a terrible sleeper. Others are blessed with better ones. Such is life. :( This has been karma for being a terrible sleeper as a baby myself. :p

1 - 4 of 4 Posts