Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My DD is 7 weeks old and it is still very very painful to nurse on my right side. I have a perpetual blister and then I get a clogged duct on that side. I can only nurse on that side laying down and then it still hurts (not during nursing but after the fact.) I've tried different positions and that seems to help, but my nipple still hurts for an hour or two after nursing. I've used soothies, breast pads, lanolin, etc nothing seems to help.

I'm ready to throw the towel in on the right side and just nurse on my left. Which I have NO problems with. Can I do this?? Is this totally abnormal?

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Yes you can do it.
Yes, you will be lopsided as a result.

There is a great article from a while back (Mothering Magazine, of course
) about a woman who nursed on one breast exclusively. I have a friend that will eventually wean to one breast but is holding off due to swimsuit season coming up

·
Premium Member
11,488 Posts
Plenty of women have nursed twins, so supply shouldn't be an issue (other than typical issues that sometimes come up, but there are answers for those). Maybe taper off slowly on the right just to avoid engorgement/plugged duct/mastitis -type issues until your milk goes away on that side? It seems practical, in your case.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.