Mothering Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
She hasn't went to the bathroom since Saturday early morning, she's in pain, and super constipated.<br><br>
I have given her all kinds of juice, dried apricots, apple pectin, and karo syrup (ok, ok, gram's got to me! LOL)<br><br>
I finally gave in and gave her some laxative, and that didn't work. (she had 4 doses, and nothing)<br><br>
I put some olive oil in her fanny, thinking it would help her get it out, but it didn't work either.<br><br>
I am getting really concerned.. I prefer not to take her to the doctor, as he's a fruit, and will give her all kinds of meds she doesn't need..<br><br>
Short of a enema, what else can I do at this point?

·
Registered
127 Posts
give a tablespoon or so right away!!!!<br><br>
gotta go my dh is mongering the computer...i had to reply b'c dd had the same problem.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Lots of water and lots of fiber. The longer food stays in the body, the more water is sucked out of it, so lots of water is really important. I would avoid the dried fruit and juices and stick with fresh fruits and fresh fruit purees. You really need the fiber and hydration to help it along. In an urgent situation, some epsom salt may be helpful -- follow the package directions for dosage. Some plain ground psyllium husk in some water (with a bit of honey to make it palatable) is also helpful. Sorry to sound like a broken record, but make sure she's well hydrated if taking lots of fiberful foods or otherwise, it can make it worse.<br><br>
Don't try too many things together, or it can wreak havoc in her digestive system. If trying the epsom salts and psyllium husk, give it a full 24 hours for it to start working. The first BM is going to be hard and small, but as long as there is one, it will get things going.<br><br>
For the longterm, avoid laxatives as the body can get addicted to them. Try to incorporate lots of fiberful foods daily such as an apple and/or a banana a day. Ground flax seeds are really good too.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts