Mothering Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have twin boys who are just about 3 months old. From almost the beginning they have had digestive issues. They would wake up screaming, but then settle right down again without really waking up. They are constantly gassy. They only poop about 1X a week and their poops are extremely sticky and thick, and smelly!!!

Last wednesday one of them started having a lot of pain in his belly. The lightest touch made him scream. But they have also been running fevers. Since then his brother started having the same problem. It happens a couple times a day. They scream in pain and are stiff and rigid. When I hold them and they drift in and out of sleep, waking up every so often to writhe and scream in pain. Sometimes I feel bubbling or gas in their bellies. We took them into the ER and they ran all kinds of tests for bacteria, UTI's, and did a chest X-ray. It was awful, my poor baby.

I have been trying to figure this out and have cut out all dairy, even the hidden stuff. My diet consists of very little, but I question whether this is diet related at all. There are no other symptoms, no rashes, very little spitting up. It just doesn't seem to get better. We have days that are pretty much symptom free, and then days when they can't settle, cry and are generally unhappy.

Last night I held my baby while he screamed for hours. I am just at the end of my rope. I am so hungry, but afraid to eat anything. And now with the fevers I just don't know what to think.

Anyone?

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
Check out my latest post in Eliminating Foods while Breastfeeding... maybe it will help solve your mystery! I hope it does- it sucks to have sick babies and be pulling your hair out trying to find the cause.

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
Do you eat a lot of vegetables? I found that things like brocolli, onions, peppers, things with high citric acid levels, etc. made my dd miserable. She isn't allergic to any of those, but she reacted with gas.

The fevers, do not sound allergy related. The allergies will cause discomfort, hives, reflux, mucousy stool, but not fevers.

·
Registered
4,051 Posts
My ds was just diagnosed with celiac disease, which is way more common than people think - especially for babies. Your babes can get a simple blood test to see. It's definitely worth checking out. I hope you can get this figured out soon!

·
Registered
112 Posts
Not saying i am an expert, but i have to disagree about fevers not being allergy related. Allergies are an immune response and as far as i know so are fevers. my DDs often get fever and they both have multiple food sensitivities/allergies. DD #2 was severely collicky with foul smelling stools and no doctor or lactation consultant ever suggested i try an elimination diet. i wish i had done more research then. One thing i read that might be helpful is to put probiotic powder on your nipple b4 feeding. it should help establish a healthy flora as early as possible. as for elimination i would do the big ones: dairy, all gluten, corn, nuts, soy. and possibly even all grains. as it turns out neither of my DDs can eat rice or potatoes w out severe digestive symptoms.

i hope something works soon! let me know.

·
Registered
20 Posts
We had the problem that provocativa mentioned. Suffered like rip the first 6 months and didn't know what was going on! This baby has allergies and asthma and I truly believe those antibiotics were what got things going. I know allergies are supposed to be hereditary, but I think that the loss of all the beneficial bacteria was to blame here.

Once baby was 6 months old we bought some primodophilus for children and things have gotten better.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Has anyone suggested foremilk/hindmilk imbalance to you? I had that problem with my ds and seem to be having it (in combination with allergies) with my dd. If you have a plentiful supply, the extra lactose that their intestines receive can cause that kind of belly pain and diapers. Fortunately it's easier to "fix" than allergies.

I hope you find an answer soon!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.