Mothering Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
<p>I got my first singer traditional sewing machine recently. I have had no problems until last night. I have been sewing and using regular light weight cotton and I am trying to sew with a thicker knit and having so many issues. First the for some reason it was sewing but kept getting knotted up in the bobbin. Then It would just not sew. It would act as if it was sewing as I pulled the material along but when I pulled it out it had no thread was even sew in to the material. Im not sure if I have it on the right settings or if I need to adjust the tension???? I have tried just about every setting it seems like, but nothing is working! Please help if anyone has had the same problem? Thank you</p>

·
Registered
7,557 Posts
<p>That sounds like a bobbin issue to me. Have you tried re-threading the entire machine? Just take it all out and start over. Sometimes when I'm having problems of unknown origin starting completely over is the only thing that fixes it. Make sure there's no fuzz caught in your bobbin works or in your feed dogs.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>How thick of a material are we talking? And when was the last time you changed your needle?</p>

·
Registered
756 Posts
<p>When that happens with my machine it is usually the upper thread tension, rethread making sure that you've put the thread through all of the right spots. </p>
<p> </p>
<p>Some things I've learned when sewing with knits.  Use a new needle, intended for knits, decrease your presser foot pressure, it is usually set at 4, set it to 2, don't hesitate to use the three step zig zag intended for knits to sew seams & hems.  If you really want to use the straight stitch, lengthen the stitch to 3 or maybe even 4.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>HTH</p>

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
<p>a ball point needle will help you!</p>

·
Premium Member
2,339 Posts
<p>It sounds like you're skipping stitches.  Bent needle?  Needle too big?  Thread too coarse?  Check your manual for special settings for knits, the appropriate needle size, and the troubleshooting guide for skipped stitches.  Use the right thread and needle.  A stabilizer might be needed, but check for other issues first.  Stabilizer is a layer of tear-away material that you put under your sewing (you can use tissue paper, toilet seat liners, or buy some stabilizer.)</p>

1 - 5 of 5 Posts