Mothering Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, I need some info asap. I was planning on having a homebirth with a midwife, but I have not been able to reach her in the last couple weeks so I'm not sure what happened but I realized that I really need a back-up plan now.

First of all, I'm on straight Medicaid at the moment and at the point I deliver my baby, I will either still be on straight Medicaid or Great Lakes Health Plan, depending on if I deliver in July or August. I've seen that both Hutzel and Providence accept Medicaid. Providence says they also accept GLHP, and Hutzel said they accept all forms of Medicaid. So I should be covered there I guess.

Next, I would still like to use a midwife, even if it's a CNM. Can anyone tell me about the CNMs that deliver at Providence or Hutzel? I see that Providence uses Metro Partners, is that correct? I can't seem to find much information on the midwives at Hutzel or find anything out about contacting them for more info. Do I need to choose a CNM prior to going to the hospital to giving birth? And do I also need to choose a doctor prior to giving birth? Can anyone give me info on what to do here?

I was planning on having a home waterbirth, but like I said, my homebirth may not be happening now, so do either Providence or Hutzel let you birth in the water, or do they only let you labor in the water? Do I need to sign up ahead of time for a room with a birthing tub or labor tub? I've heard that some hospitals or birthing centers have limited rooms with these amenities, and I'm due within the next month, so I need to know if there is some protocol to getting this.

Does anyone have any preferences about Hutzel or Providence? Is the the Alternative Birthing Center for Providence in Southfield as well, or is that just where the hospital is? I just really need some info on what to do in the limited time I have left as far as prenatal care goes if I really no longer have my midwife as my provider. I really hope some of you can help me!

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Have you checked into any other hb midwives too? There are many good ones. I have heard good things about the current midwives at Providence - you must contact them asap if you want to birth in the ABC though. I like Susan Greenlee at Hutzel too, she used to be at Providence and I attended several births with her.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by harrietsmama View Post
Have you checked into any other hb midwives too? There are many good ones. I have heard good things about the current midwives at Providence - you must contact them asap if you want to birth in the ABC though. I like Susan Greenlee at Hutzel too, she used to be at Providence and I attended several births with her.
Since I'm on Medicaid, it will not cover homebirth unfortunately. The midwife I have/had is letting us barter for her services, so it's not being paid for by Medicaid, nor are we having to pay out of pocket like we would if we got another midwife.

Thanks for the recommendation on the CNM. Luckily I finally heard back from my midwife today, so we're still planning on going with her and having our homebirth, but I now think it's good to have some kind of backup plan just in case...

·
Registered
353 Posts
I had my second son with the CNMs at Providence and had a wonderful experience. Our insurance changed, so I then met with a midwife at Hutzel who I liked- but never delivered there (had a m/c).

Anyway, does your HB midwife have a backup? It's a bit concerning that you were unable to reach her for weeks.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by oakparkveggie View Post
I had my second son with the CNMs at Providence and had a wonderful experience. Our insurance changed, so I then met with a midwife at Hutzel who I liked- but never delivered there (had a m/c).

Anyway, does your HB midwife have a backup? It's a bit concerning that you were unable to reach her for weeks.
Thanks for the input! Fortunately I did hear back from my midwife (though her reason of being on vacation wasn't a very good one in my opinion - I feel that she should have at least let me know she'd be out of town). She does not have a backup unfortunately which I do not like. But, other than this instance of flightiness, I really do like her and feel very confident in her skills, and I'd prefer her to deliver my baby over anyone else I've met thus far. I just hope I can be more confident in her communication for the rest of my pregnancy. She's been a day or 2 late in calling in the past, but never as long as this, and it had never taken her so long to respond to my calls before either.

·
Registered
783 Posts
I had my baby at Providence and I loved the midwifes they use.

They will not let you birth in the tub, and you have to meet with the midwifes before. I guess the hospital ceo doesn't like the birth center and they have some strict guildlines as to who qualifies for birthing there. You have to take a childbirth class(of your choosing) and a birthcenter orientation.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
I birthed two babies at the Providence Birth Center, which is in the hospital but separate from the L&D ward. None of their midwives were covered by my insurance so I went with an OB (out of Livonia) who was fine.

My experiences at the birth center were awesome
It's an hour drive for me but totally worth it. The nurses were terrific and followed my birth plans to a T both times. Babies never left my side...I'm trying to think what else...it's been 4.5 years since my youngest was born. If you have any specific questions, I'd be happy to answer what I can. PM me though or I probably won't see it

Ahem, I had a nurse tell me that if you *oopsie* happen to birth in the tub, they're not going to get on you for it. As it was, my babies came too fast. By the time the tub was full, I was pushing and in no mood to move.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by hotharmony View Post
they have some strict guildlines as to who qualifies for birthing there. You have to take a childbirth class(of your choosing) and a birthcenter orientation.
Their "strict guidelines" are that you can't be a high-risk birth. Your midwife will have to sign off on it (or OB, as in my case). I wasn't required to do a childbirth class with my 2nd so you may be able to get out of that since, if I'm reading your siggie correctly, you've already had a child.

Has the "orientation" changed? When I birthed there, it was just a tour. No biggie.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Best Feeling View Post
Their "strict guidelines" are that you can't be a high-risk birth.
Not necessarily. Their strict guidlines state that they will not accept a VBAC. So, even if you are not high risk, it does not mean that they will necessarily take you

Thankfully, I was able to get out of having to take the tour and childbirth classes because a) I had already had children & b) I had attended my friends birth at the center (I think this excuse was deemed "acceptable" after discussing it at length with one of the nurses).

·
Registered
57 Posts
I switched care providers to Metro Partners very late in my last pregnancy and had a good experience at the ABC at Providence- I liked all of the midwives, and I remember being told that they didn't like you to birth in the water, if it happened it happened and they weren't going to drag you out of the tub while you were pushing.
I ended up having a c-section and transferring to the regular maternity ward at Providence, which is decidedly not as nice and welcoming as the ABC, though- but I was thrilled that the ABC nurse who had helped me through much of my (very long) labor came to visit us several times even though I was no longer her patient.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.