Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am still just in such shock that this happened, I don't even know where to begin.

I went to the ER last night because I had several large spider bites that were getting larger, and I was in a huge amount of pain. We suspected that they might be brown recluse, so I wanted to get that possibility eliminated.

While I was being treated, the physician told me that I really needed to get a tetanus shot. I understood that it was probably not because of the bites, but that it might be a decent idea since I work outside a great deal and get cuts, scrapes, etc all the time. I know it's still a vaccine, but I was exhausted last night and in a lot of pain, and she kept pushing me about getting a tetanus shot. So I agreed. I had done vax research last year, and I knew that the tetanus stood alone and was a 10 year shot.

The nurse came in, gave me the shot, and then said in a really cavalier tone, "By the way, the shot also contains pertussis and diptheria vaccines, so you got those as well."

My heart just sank, and I looked at her and said, "But I thought the tetanus was just for tetanus. I'm trying to get pregnant and I didn't want pertussis or diptheria.... Are there risks if I conceive this month?"

She didn't know. So she went rushing out and called the pharmacist and asked the doctor. The doctor came back in and said that they were really pushing this shot because they were trying to create herd immunity to pertussis. She had NEVER mentioned pertussis before at all.

I basically feel that I was lied to so that this woman could have an excuse to give me a pertussis shot. I don't think she even cared about the tetanus portion when all was said and done.

I waited for the pharmacist to tell the nurse about pregnancy, and the nurse came back in and said (and this is incredible to me) that they weren't sure, that the vaccine was still very new and that long term effects were not known. No one, she said, had ever asked about tdap and pregnancy before, and the doctor had no clue (her words) about the repercussions. Then, she went out and asked the doctor again, and then casually came back and said I should wait another month to be sure.

But clearly the doctor had no idea if a month was warranted or sufficient. I feel incredibly violated, and I don't know what to do. The doctor who treated me is not an employee of the hospital- they contract out for their ER services. The nurse and pharmacist are. Meanwhile, I need to call my OB about this.

And you know, with the exception of being asked if I was pregnant when I checked in and was triaged, NO ONE asked me if I was pregnant or TTC before I got that shot.

I think I'm going to write a letter, etc, but I don't know where to begin. If anyone could help, that would be great.

·
Registered
6,009 Posts
I would file a complaint because they did not get informed consent from you before administering that vaccine. I would do it with the hospital and with your state medical board. The doctor clearly knew what she was doing. She first told you that a tetanus shot was necessary due to the condition for which you were seeking treatment. After having the shot administered, she admitted they were "really pushing" the pertussis vaccine. She obviously wanted you to have the pertussis vaccine, but didn't feel it necessary to inform you of that fact.

·
Registered
7,928 Posts
Definitely file with your state medical board.
I can't believe they did that to you (well, unfortunately my cynical side can). Violated is a perfect word for what they did.

·
Registered
3,413 Posts

I am so soooooory you were violated honey.

I would file a complaint also, get your local papaer/news involved.. raise awareness.

When I was only weeks preg with my youngest (I did not konw I was preg at hosp visit) I had a cut on my arm from a dirty nail (construction work).
I went to the hosp when I had a visable red swollen area goign up my arm that was not there hours before.
They tried and tried to get me to say yes to tet shot.. I refused. I did get a shot of antibiotics though.
I imagine what "could have happened" if I did get the tet shot, being only weeks pregnant.

Don't just sit back and let this be swept under the table..

You flat out said no, and the dr kept pressuring you. Keep your head up and protect others from the same!!!

·
Registered
612 Posts
Definitely file a complaint with the state Board of Medicine for failure to obtain informed concent and failure to explain the entire vaccine to you prior to injecting you.

However, I would get a copy of your ER report first. 1) get the names, 2) see what it says you said, 3) make sure you have a copy incase it gets changed in the light of investigation later.

I found many times things I said in medical files that were out of context or incorrect.

·
Registered
4,556 Posts
When my daughter was given a Hib shot with out my permission, after I specifically said no to it. Nobody cared or would do anything about it. I tried lawyers, filing a complaint, going to the board of medicine. The only reaction I got was that I should be glad she got something that I should have given her anyway. What's the harm in an extra vaccine? That just means more protection for you. (That was everyones response pretty much).
:

So I'm just warning you that this might just be something that you have to live with and learn from. I learned never to accept an injection for me or dd with out watching them actually fill the syringe and reading the label of the medicine that they put in it first. They hate this btw, but it's your right and it should be done since these sorts of "mistakes" seem to happen all the time.

But next time, I would say no to any vaccine if planning on becoming pregnant. None of them are really "good for you" or safe. But I understand you being extra worried since this vax is newer. Good luck

·
Banned
11,133 Posts
Quote:
Prior to an injection of any vaccine, all known precautions should be taken to prevent adverse reactions. The physician should
have a current knowledge of the literature concerning the use of the vaccine under consideration, including the nature of the
adverse reactions that may follow its use. The patient's medical history should be reviewed with respect to possible sensitivity
and any previous adverse reactions to the vaccine or similar vaccines, possible sensitivity to dry natural latex rubber (see
WARNINGS section), previous immunization history, and current health status (see CONTRAINDICATIONS section).

Quote:
Reproductive Studies - Pregnancy Category C

Quote:
Tripedia vaccine has not been evaluated for its carcinogenic or mutagenic potentials or impairment of fertility.

Quote:
Tripedia vaccine is NOT indicated for
women of child-bearing age.
http://www.vaccineshoppe.com/US_PDF/..._4620_4.04.pdf

If you could find out which vaccine it was, that would be helpful.

·
Registered
3,949 Posts
:
I am so angry on your behalf! This is so wrong and frightening that they decided what their intentions were ("herd immunity") and then forced their program on you!!!

You have been voilated and I would call the medical board as a place to start. Maybe get in touch with the local newpapers or news/TV/radio stations and see if they are open to running a story.

I am so sorry you went through that,
Jennifer

·
Registered
867 Posts
I would also keep track of how you are feeling/weird things that happen for the next several months/even years-I'd expect you'd have a huge case in a malpractice court if you suddenly developed asthma or T1 diabetes or something 6 months down the road...

Seems to me that's not a whole lot different than being assaulted on the street-except it was "legal"

I'm sorry that happened to you...I hope you dont' have any kind of a bad reaction (or your future kidlets, for that matter-good luck in that ttc arena too!)

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by NoMariposa
Definitely file a complaint with the state Board of Medicine for failure to obtain informed concent and failure to explain the entire vaccine to you prior to injecting you.

However, I would get a copy of your ER report first. 1) get the names, 2) see what it says you said, 3) make sure you have a copy incase it gets changed in the light of investigation later.

I found many times things I said in medical files that were out of context or incorrect.
ditto -- i'm sorry this happened to you

·
Registered
876 Posts

i would definitely file a complaint. that's not something to mess around with. that should have been one of the first things they asked before ANY kind of treatment, IMO.

when i had my MMR "booster" for work, i checked off on the sheet that i might be pregnant. they completely ignored it, and gave me the shot. sure enough, i had a positive HPT a couple weeks later, and miscarried at 10 weeks...

since you're TTC, if it was me, i'd wait at LEAST 3 months...not what you want to do, i'm sure, but like i said, not something you want to mess around with.

hope everything turns out okay!

·
Registered
10,813 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by blueridgewoman
And you know, with the exception of being asked if I was pregnant when I checked in and was triaged, NO ONE asked me if I was pregnant or TTC before I got that shot.
The CDC just recently voted at the June ACIP meeting to recommend Tdap for all pregnant women.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by LongIsland
The CDC just recently voted at the June ACIP meeting to recommend Tdap for all pregnant women.
:

·
Registered
10,813 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by djinneyah
:

The only silver lining here is the two newly licensed Tdap vaxes do not contain 25 micrograms of thimerosal like Td and TT. You would have surely been given a shot from a multi-dose formulation if that had been the case.

The ACIP also recommended last year that Tdap be used in place of Td and TT. While the Td and TT vaccines are still being manufactured, they're going to be harder to find in the coming years as more hospitals follow the new recommendation.

·
Registered
9,295 Posts
so now If i do give into their tetanus hounding in the ER, i have to fight to just get tetanus?

unbelievable, they are just trying to take our rights away by making it unavailable!

·
Registered
7,476 Posts
Part of me is angry this happened to you, but part of me just said "Well, that's typical, its the sort of thing they do all the time, because they are gods, and don't really care much except about their agenda.

By all means complain.

But you need to also rethink two things:

1) a body dealing with potentially poisonous spider bites had much better things to deal with, than another toxoid vaccine. If you had a poisonous snake bite, would you consent to a tetanus then?

2) if you consent to any needle going in, you are open slather to just this sort of abuse. Call it paranoia if you like, but I never ever consent to anything, without checking the vial first with my own eyes. If they query me and say "Don't you trust me?" I say "No, why should I?"

·
Registered
9,295 Posts
great points MT......I am double checking anything i ever get (no vaxes btw) before its injected. I was reading a story about a woman who's baby was injected with an IV epidural instead of the iv penicillin because of his unknown GBS status!! thankfully the little guy survived.

·
Banned
11,133 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by LongIsland
: What? Even though they admit it is dangerous?!?!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts