Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so I've made lined curtains for my family room, I've made pillows, I've made vests for dh and ds for Christmas, I've made myself a couple of skirts - WHY CAN'T I MAKE WIPES?

I have two squares of fabric, (8 x 8 or so), I serge the edges, and inevitably I mess up the corners. Besides, I'm afraid of my serger
: and the all red thread that I have on there (from Christmas blankets, don't cha know) doesn't really go w/my pretty flannel and terry and chenille that I want to make wipes out of.

So, how do I do the edges on my sewing machine? If I do a simple overlock stitch (w/the zigzag portion only) will they hold? Should I do some sort of folding over the edge?

What fabric combination will work best? Flannel vs flannel, terry vs terry, chenille vs chenille or should I mix it up?

I thought this was going to be a simple project - what is my problem??? Help - I'm about to throw both machines out the window (even though I know it's user error!)

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
This article totally made the difference in my "making friends" with my serger
Keep practing (with cheap fabric LOL) until you get it right.

Also I find that woolly is a much more forgiving thread for the beginner because it "hugs" the fabric.

It will get better I promise! Just practice

Oh and editing to add...why not start with 1 ply wipes and get your technique down and then "graduate" to 2 ply
My favorite wipe fabrics are those with a bit of texture (hemp terry, burley knit terry, regular knit terry).

Steph

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
I made wipes on my sewing machine out of 8x8m flannel one side, terry on the other. What kind of cloth you use seems to be just personal preference. Also, you might want to make some a smaller size - I have a newborn and 8X8 is way bigger than I need! :LOL I'll be glad of the size when she's bigger I imagine.

I sewed them like one would make a pillow - put the wrong sides together and straight stitched almost all the way around, then turned them inside out and folded in the edges of the part left unsewed and straight stitched there. Then, to help them hold their shape, I topstitched about 3/4 from the edge, all the way around, in a zigzag stitch. They look great!

Hope that made sense and was helpful - I'm a newbie sewer so don't know many terms or anything

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
I've made some great flannel wipes with my sewing machine, turning and topstitching, and it works just fine. I just use 2 squares of flannel and a regular straight stitch. (...and then I got a serger and now all my little scraps of fabric get serged into wipes!)

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
I made 8x8 wipes out of one piece of flannel and one piece of velour. I just have a sewing machine so I just sewed a zigzag stitch around the edge, getting as close to the edge as possible. Then I washed them and trimmed off the loose threads with scissors. They don't look very nice but they were so quick to make and work great. I also made wipes with 2 pieces of flannel--those were easier to sew (the velour has a bit of stretch to it).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts