Mothering Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2 week old is colicky and I don't know what to do! I'm not getting any sleep and I'm going crazy. All I can do is cry with him because nothing else helps. Any ideas, anyone?

·
Registered
2,455 Posts

look into gripe water. normally they have it at health food stores and it is supposed to help. If you have a yoga/birth ball try laying baby tummy down on it and hold onto her back with one hand and bounce the ball with the other. Some babies like it Really bounced, others just need a little so play with it to see if it helps.

I would also suggest Dr Sear's Fussy Baby Book

·
Registered
692 Posts
Get Harvey Karp's Happiest Baby on the Block video (easier and probably better) or book.

try
swaddle
shushing sound or white noise machine
swaying walking or bouncing (if you have a yoga ball, they work great.)
sidelying--belly down on your arm
sucking--either breast or paci

good luck.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by farmerjess View Post
Get Harvey Karp's Happiest Baby on the Block video (easier and probably better) or book.

try
swaddle

good luck.

That book and his techniques really saved me during those first few weeks. Good luck and it will get better!

·
Registered
146 Posts
s:

I have to second the gripe water, it is wonderful! Good luck to you mama, I know these are hard times for you, but it will improve soon.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Hugs and good thoughts!!! Sorry you are having a hard time with your little one.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by micah_mae_ View Post
My 2 week old is colicky and I don't know what to do! I'm not getting any sleep and I'm going crazy. All I can do is cry with him because nothing else helps. Any ideas, anyone?
Is he exclusively breastfed? If so, maybe there is something in your diet that is bothering him. Culprits for me are dairy, soy, gluten, and garbanzo beans.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by nycmom18 View Post
i heard that pediatric chiropractic care works. just make sure you trust doc etc. good luck!
Those first 2 months are hard. I had a colicky baby too.

Going to the chiropractor helped more than anything for us.

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by farmerjess View Post

try
swaddle

good luck.

: This worked well for us w/ DD1

Are you trying to put him in a crib? We just gave up and coslept w/ DD2because it was the only way we got any sleep. It doesn't have to be in bed, if you have a comfy couch swaddle him and prop him between your leg and the couch. Or place him on you belly to belly and tuck a blanket around you both so you don't have to worry so much about him rolling off.

·
Registered
444 Posts
I haven't seen anyone suggest babywearing yet - that worked wonders for us. Long walks in the sling or wrap would often settle the fussy baby to sleep. If weather won't permit a walk outside, I've tried wearing the baby while dancing around the house to music with a good beat, or even sitting on the birth ball and bouncing rhythmically while wearing baby. My fussy babies have really liked noise...the sound of a vacuum or hairdryer would often instantly calm them. My youngest dd is in love with the sound of the washer and dryer running - I swaddle her and she often will nap in her swing in the laundry room. In the meantime, clear your schedule, simplify cleaning and eating to bare bones survival mode, and accept any offers of help. This will get better, but take care of yourself, too, during these stressful first months. Rent some good movies to watch while you're bouncing that cranky babe! Good luck!

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
Oh I'm so sorry mama. Colic is so hard. My DD was colicky until around 8/9months.... meaning, she was awake, and unless she was nursing, she had to be in constant motion, or else she was crying. As the evening approached, it got rougher. Overall, the colic did taper off a bit around 5/6 months... once she started to be able to see things a bit more clearly, and had some more range of motion/ability to sit up, etc... but she stayed "fussy" until nearly 2 yrs - needed constant motion to fall asleep. Some babies are just higher needs than others. They are more sensitive to light, sound, fabrics, foods, temperatures, everything. The Dr. Sears Fussy Baby Book is a good one.

Some things that worked for us:

Holding baby upright, doing up-down squats.
DH & I watched many a movie with DD in my or his arms going up-down-up-down. It was the only motion that would quiet her, poor thing. At least we were in shape!

We also had some success as she got a bit older, with the same motion,while she was strapped into her baby carrier... the benefit is that you can put baby down once they've finally blissfully fallen asleep, and you can get a much needed break. The downfall is that the darned baby carrier is so heavy, and baby requires so much motion, it's super tiring. She would occasionally tolerate the up-down motion of the bouncy seat - bounced by us, strapped into her baby seat balanced on it. Obviously, don't leave her side,and once asleep, put the carrier on the floor.

We had marginal success with rocking baby in her carseat on the dryer. But this was usually only after up-down squats until we couldn't take it anymore.

Very loud music. Shower running. Air purifier. Drives in the car - though I must say this was a LAST resort after hours of fussiness, when I just couldn't take the holding/squatting/screaming in my ear anymore... because she'd essentially cry herself to sleep in the car, then we'd transfer her to her room (with fans on in every room on the way there, all lights down, lest we wake her & start the whole cycle over again).

Baby in snugli while doing squats - the upright position is key. You can acheive this same position with a padded ring sling (I didn't have one with my first, but was prepared with my second, who turned out not to be colicky at all, go figure).

Once DD was too heavy for me to squat even in my hip carrier, I made the transition to a big exercise ball. Similar motion to squats, still hold baby upright. Its easier to do than standing when you're dead on your feet in the middle of the night. I swear I spent nights walking/bouncing/singing DD where I was actually asleep as I was walking.

Hang in there. It DOES pass. Really truly.

I would highly recommend checking your own diet, if you're nursing, for offending foods. Here's a good link: http://www.askdrsears.com/html/8/t083301.asp

I will say that I didn't consider this as a potential reason for DD's fussiness until she was around 8/9 months. I cut out all dairy & eggs, and there was a marked decrease in her fussiness. It COULD have been coincidental - just developmental perhaps - but maybe not. Its worth a try, I say.

HUGS to you. You can make it through this, and you'll both be stronger for it.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
we're on our 2nd crying baby. you know, the only time he has absolutely NO crying jags is when he's sleeping in bed with us. we've come to learn that the only thing we can do is wait it out. we're almost halfway through month 2 and hoping that when he's 3 months, he'll be all sorted out, as our first son was. he's getting better and better as he gets older.
all you can do is wait it out and try your best to remember he's not doing it on purpose. sounds funny to say and very obvious but i had to remind myself of that and learn patience. and hand him off to whomever you can to get yourself some peace, even just for a minute. i hand mine to hubby mostly but i have my mom too (i was colicky so she went through it.)
know that some of us understand the longing for a baby who doesn't cry and cry and cry. we know the jealousy over seeing a friend's quiet little baby. we know the heartache and the frustration. you're not alone.

·
Registered
792 Posts
I just wanted to second that suggestion about probiotics. It's not insanity! Lots of babies are missing important bacteria in their digestive systems that makes the gas unbearable! The reserach I did for our baby, (who was admittedly just gassy not colicky all the time) said that the ONLY scientific trials that showed an improvement in colicky babies used l. Reuteri bacteria. Shopping around found me bottles that were all at least $36. But I found this great deal for $10. Our daughter is 8mos now and has since grown out of the gassy stage, but I was so grateful to have this stuff-it was a night and day difference. Likewise, I had to cut all dairy out of my diet, but the peace was worth the sacrifice of the cheese!
:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.