Mothering Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK Angel has always been an itchy puppy. When she was younger she would lick and chew her belly so much she would have sores and her hair wouldn't grow in. When we got her fixed we found out she had a Hernia which we got fixed and would eplain the chewing.
A few months ago we took her to the vet because she was scratching all the time and had sores everywhere again. She was put on steriods for a skin infection and we were told she could possibly have food allergies, so we changed food at the same time. She was itch free for a while, then it started again even with the new food, so we switched back to the original food because I hate to say it , it's cheaper.
Now the itches re suddenly back after over a month of the food switch, and I don't think that is the cause. Today I looked at her and above her eye was bleeding alittle and raw/open. We don't have the money to waste on a vet who is going to perscribe drugs as a form of elimination diagnosis, and would like to go in there with some knowledge. Does anyone know what's going on with our Dog. I know she could really use a babth but I don't want to aggitate the skin condition, but on the other hand it's been a really long time and could be the cause.
On top of it, it looked like her buddy MJ had poop on her nose today and when I tried to wipeit off I relized it was a sore of some sort, but she has no other similar symtoms with Angel so I don't know if it's even related.
They do fight and play rough so it could be that, but not in Angels case.

Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions? We really don't have the money for a vet and I hate to think they are suffering. If you scratch one of Angels itchy spots (usually on her back where she can't reach it) her back leg gets going like a motor boat and under closer inspection the skin is just really dry. The only sores wh can see now are the ones above her eyes(which she scratches alot), everything else shows nothing or just dandruff like flakes.

Please help, She's only been itch free once in her life and she deserves more often.

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
German Sheps are notorious for skin conditions.

I would try supplementing with salmon oil to start. Get some omega's going on and hopefully that will improve the condition of her skin. It helped quite a bit with my shepherd.

Good luck,

·
Registered
11,573 Posts
Yeah, I need to know what they're eating now and what they ate for the suspected allergy. Also, how long did they stay on it?
An elimination diet really needs to be done for a minimum of 3 mos and during that time you have to be hyper diligent that they never get anything other than the food (or treats that are ALSO hypoallergenic. That means a scrap of toast from the kids could start up a reaction.
Fish oil is always a good thing to add as is yogurt with a GSD.

Honestly though, regardless of an actual documented allergy, a higher quality food, namely a low or no grain food will pretty much always help, if for no reason other than that it boosts the dog's immune system, allowing them to tolerate anything they may be sensitive to, kwim?
Another supplement I like for GSD's is Solid Gold Seameal.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
They've always ate Alpo(I know not the greatest but it's nly 21$ for 18kg). The vet said that it could be an allergy to beef so we switched the Eukanuba(nothing else not even treats) for 4 months at the same time she was the steriods. After the steriods were done she got itchy again so we went back to Alpo because they prefer it. After her hernia was removed she was eating Alpo and was fine for a while, then the itching started again. Oh and MJ just had gunk on her nose she fine. Thanks for all the help. Are there any suggestions for bathing tips/products?

·
Registered
11,573 Posts
Well, there's the problem! Neither of those foods remove the primary allergy concerns--wheat and corn!!!
I know Alpo is cheap, but realistically, premium foods pretty much always cost you less--first by the amount you feed, in order for a dog not to be suffering some level of malnutrition, you'd have to feed at least 5 cups a day of Alpo, a super premium food (and Eukanuba is NOT a super premium food) will cut that down to between 2 and 3 cups a day.
Have you ever considered feeding them raw?? That's ever cheaper still and is certainly the best way to feed them.

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
Yea, I highly doubt your dog is allergic to beef or any meat in the kibble. I'm surprised your vet didn't mention this, but like shannon said, corn and wheat are THE first things to eliminate when there are allergies. Neither of those products are even great for dogs, so it's not a surprise that quite a few are allergic to them.

Switch to raw. It will be cheaper, and so much better for your dog. I'm willing to bet you'd see a difference in the first 2 weeks in terms of coat, and scratching (or lack there of).

Also, in feeding Alpo, you might think it's cheaper. But, it's only cheaper in the short term. As I'm sure you're finding out, vet bills for large dogs are expensive. And you will have one vet bill after another if you continue to feed Alpo.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
We went to the pet store to get dog shampoo that we needed anyways and we talked about premium and super premium dog foods. They gave us samples of nutrisource and apparently they should eat about half as much so when you work out the price it comes to the same as the Alpo but they keep bringing us their bowls wanting more and I don't think that ammount will keep them satisfied. do we need to give them time for their stomaches to adjust to the smaller portions? They also told us that if their poop is too loose they are probably eating to much, but we feed them when they bring us their bowls and I don't want them to go hungry. Aparently their 90lb lab eats a cup in the morning and another at night. our dogs each eat about 3 cups twice a day, so that is what they are expecting, they don't understand that half of that is enough. I just don't know $50 for dog food is alot with a new babe to take a chance on but then again these dogs are our babies and our responsibility too.

·
Registered
11,573 Posts
Their stomachs need some time to adjust, think about it, if you ate a normal diet and then someone said "here, you can get all you need and more out of this little capsule" it would take a while for your stomach to stop saying "yo! WTF just happened??"
I generally suggest people use chopped veggies until the dogs tummy gets used to it, either that or rice, just gradually decrease the amount of "filler" until they're just on the food.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts