Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
DD is 3 1/2 and nurses twice per day- at naptime and and bedtime. I'm 28 weeks pregnant. My nipples HURT until just a few weeks ago and now it's less painful, just more irritating. I have to fight the urge to just push her off and tell her to stop touching me. I'm down to a point that the only rationale I can come up with to continue is a practical one- she'd no longer take a nap & bedtime would take so much longer if she didn't nurse!

I don't want it to be this way. I know it's entirely pregnancy related, but 3 more months of it seems so long. I find myself getting so irritated that I put myself through nursing her on the days that she doesn't take a nap. I don't want to start nursing her more when the baby arrives- or at least that's how I feel right now. I know all the good things about nursing a child this age- and I'm just having trouble caring about them! And then, of course, I feel guilty because I have trouble caring about them and because I get irritated because she doesn't take a nap some days and because I simply don't enjoy nursing at all right now. I guess there's some element of fear that I'll feel this way toward the new baby, too.

So, I've just dumped this whole confession here hoping for support. I don't want to wean her and really have no plans to do so. I just want to hear that it's going to be OK and that I will make it through this.

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
it will get better. and when that baby is here you'll be glad you have an older nursling to help with engorgement! and it won't be irritating.
your colostrum should be coming in soon if it hasn't all ready. that should make nursing a little better.(and one sign besides your dd telling you about the water/milk is running poohs) drink more water to help with the irritation (it does help). maybe find a good book to read while you are nursing to help take your mind off it it.
too bad it's that time of year where your not outside as much (shorter days). that's always a good distraction for mom and nursling.

you are doing great!

i've nursed through 3 pregnancies and that seems to be the roughest part!

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks mammas. Having kind of a tough day because she's not feeling well & before the pregnancy, I would've been heppy to let her nurse extra times. Now I'm really struggling to even want to at all since it's so uncomfortable.

This too shall pass...this too shall pass....

Thank you both for the encouragement!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts