Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm on the verge of starting to put DD in sposies. She's in potty limbo right now, and back in dipes almost full time. I can't figure this rash out. It's a bright red rash, that ultimately sorta scabs up and peels. It's not on her bum, it's on her waist and along the line of the legs of her covers. It's painful for her, and painful for me to look at.

Here's what I've tried:
I've tried stripping the covers-- didn't help.

I've tried letting her run naked, and encouraging the potty-- helped beautifully, until nighttime when she needed a diaper, and the rash was worse by morning. She can't pull down her undies and pants, and won't tell me when she needs to pee, so undies won't work, and when we're out of the house she NEEDS a diaper too.

I've tried putting her in sposies-- the rash was gone within three days, but then when we switched back to cloth, it came right back within two changes.

I've tried using only wool covers, which no elastic at the waist or legs, and leaving the waist and legs loose. I've also tried using no covers at all. Neither of these made a difference.

I've been changing her every time she pees, as much as possible.

Does anyone have any other ideas? Diaper creams are a washout, because the rashy area isn't inside the dipe. The cream just rubs right off onto her clothes, or if she's not wearing clothes, onto my furniture.

I would dearly love any ideas anyone might have. I really hate the idea of sposies, but if they're going to help keep her skin intact, I'll do it.

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
what kind of diapers are you using? Any chance she's allergic to the covers you're using? I've heard of kiddos developing allergies to materials they were once able to use.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
I had the same thing happen. I had recently tried a different detergent and I think I got buildup. I stripped my entire stash. I let her wear sposies until it was healed and then we went back to cloth with no more rashes!!

·
Registered
5,467 Posts
My DD gets those if shes using pull covers especially when her diaper gets saturated. I'd try wool or Nylon covers

Deanna

·
Premium Member
9,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Her stash right now is a varied mix of prefolds, fitteds, pockets and AIOs. Her covers are a mix of wool, PUL, nylon, and fleece. Honestly, I don't think we can blame this on any one material, since all of them seem to lead to rashiness. I tried using only cotton and wool for a few days, in case it was the polyester or the PUL or something. Then I tried switching to only pockets for awhile, in case it was wetness that was the problem. Nothing worked.

I've already stripped them, several times, so I don't think that's gonna help.

Thanks for the suggestions, but none of that seems to be working. I'm fresh out of ideas, too.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts