Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello ~

Our DS is in our room with us, always has been. He started out next to the bed (our bed is very small) and then we finally pushed his crib against the wall. I LOVE him in there with us! We will be having baby number 2 late this summer and we will sidecar the crib to our bed, moving our DS to a big boy bed. We do have the space in our room to have his big boy bed, the crib next to our bed and our bed.... it will be tight, but we can do it.

My DH thinks that our DS needs to go to his own room asap. Am I holding our ds back developmentaly? My husband thinks it is in our son's best interest to move him out of room. PLEASE give some great info to share with him why we need to keep him in our room.
Or please share with me why I need to move him it out.

Does it work to have a toddler and a newborn in the same room?

I appreciate any suggestions!!

·
Registered
42,824 Posts
My dd will be 3 in August and is in our bed. She is not interested in moving to her own room.

Personally I will have all children in my room who could not exit the house on their own in an emergency.

-Angela

·
Registered
110 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by alegna View Post
Personally I will have all children in my room who could not exit the house on their own in an emergency.

-Angela
What a great point Angela. I have always co-slept but this gives me even more of a reason to.

·
Registered
42,824 Posts
Yeah, it's probably paranoid of me, but as a child I always had fears of people breaking in and then we also had a fire (we weren't home at the time, but it was in the bedroom where my sister and I slept) and it really made me think. I don't want to wake up in the middle of the night to anything going on and have my child in a different room. It really strikes me as incredibly unsafe.

-Angela

·
Registered
722 Posts
I don't think it would do him any harm to move him out (if you do it gently) but otoh it won't so him any harm to stay either! You just have to work out what's best for you as a family. Do you think the newborn may wake him at night if he was still in your room? I think it really depends on the child. My ds is 2.5 and has recently started going to sleep in the room next to ours. (we have just redecorated and bought bunk-beds which he think's are "cool"
) Most nights he crawls into our bed at about 2am which is fine by us - most nights we don't even notice him coming. I would give your ds the option of another bed I think - you never know, he may want to sleep there and if not, I would continue letting him sleep with you.
That way your dh can't say you're "holding him back" -he has options and HE can choose!

I personally don't live my life thinking "what if"..fires in houses are pretty rare and my ds' bedroom is 2 metres from us. I really don't think it a safety concern to have your child in a different room (well an over 1yo anyway). Sometimes it can be better to have your child in a different room.....the parents of 4 siblings at my school died from carbon monoxide poisioning one night and all the children lived. Horses for courses.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.