Mothering Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'll start from birth. She had a hard time coming out and had extreme molding of the head (vaginal birth no antibiotics). She passed meconium several times at the hospital and at home. Then she turned into one of those babies who wouldn't poop for days. Ped said not to worry, it's normal to go up to 2 weeks without pooping. Once she pooped, it was the normal yellow breastfed poop, but the quantity was huge. The first 2 weeks of life outside the womb were horrible - she was an intense colicky baby. During the first week we were told to supplement with formula because baby had lost too much weight -- I supplemented for 6 days and then went to 100% breast. All of a sudden after week 2 her colic stopped.

I have over active let down and nothing has worked so far to slow it down. I've stopped pumping, I have done block feeding, I hand express some milk before giving her the breast - it still comes out too fast and she breaks the latch constantly and chokes at least once per feeding.

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
Great big hugs. I felt like I was reliving the early months with my youngest while reading this.
No this is not normal at all. You are right.

Your LO is still reacting to something.
I suggest doing a food journal, take out corn, be very careful about not having hidden sources of your eliminated foods.
For now, until you get closer to baseline, don't do any supplements. It is difficult to figure out is you LO is reacting to one of them.
If after a week of removing corn alongwith your current ones, and you still don't see an improvement analyze the journal and see if you can find a pattern.
I know I said no supps but magnesium can help with overactive letdown. If you can find a safe one that would be great. Epsom salt baths (or foot baths) can help with mag supplementing.

Do you know if your LO has a tongue tie? Resolving that could help with nursing especially since you are doing CST
A tongue tie search here can give you info.

Good luck

·
Registered
5,851 Posts
Mammo2Sammo gave great info. Other things to consider, your supplements may contain dairy, corn, soy, etc. Probiotics are often grown in a dairy medium unless it specifically says otherwise.

If things are getting worse, my question is, what have you started eating more of in place of soy, dairy, eggs and grains? Are you eating more corn, more rice? What are you drinking?

Have you read through these threads? http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=934866 and http://www.mothering.com/discussions....php?t=1061468

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
She doesn't have a tongue tie. I'm drinking filtered water. The probiotics we have are soy, dairy, corn free. I'm not eating corn or rice. What I'm eating more of so far is turkey and chicken (which I didn't use to eat before being a vegetarian).

·
Registered
431 Posts

I feel just like Mammo - reading this is totally what I went through. I am sorry you're struggling with it now.

I ended up block feeding up to 8 hours per side. Eliminating gluten really helped, I think. And it's possible we were dealing with posterior tongue tie (have you read about that?). My baby also got used to me expressing into a cloth diaper when my letdown was too forceful. So I'd latch him, de-latch & express, then re-latch. Messy, but that's what we did. I don't know how old your baby is, I did this when DS was already breaking the latch himself when nursing, so he came to expect it.

My advice based solely on my own experience is to stop making yourself miserable eating meat. Get IgG testing *yourself* through a naturopath, that will help you figure out what foods to eliminate.

It took me a long time to go there because of finances, and when I did I was ready to eat meat for my health (good thing since I was reacting to dairy, eggs, nuts and beans). Is there any meat you enjoy? Chicken broth? Start slow. Switching to meat-only is really too much. If you can't eat it with affirmation, it's only going to eat you.

I'd also recommend replacing any negative self-talk you're experiencing in your head, if you can. I am still working on this one, but it was driving me crazy in that postpartum/colic/allergy world.

More
s

·
Registered
5,851 Posts
You might need to switch out your meat if that's what's causing the reactions.

I'm so sorry that you're struggling with overactive letdown, too. That's so hard. I had it with my first, less with my second two children, but my baby now has issues with my letdown and he can really only nurse when we're lying down. It's frustrating to him and me.

·
Registered
692 Posts
I would focus more on figuring out the OAL and food allergies and less on killing candida right now. I would perhaps keep sugars out, but stop the anti-candida supps, they may be irritating to her, who knows?. It's really important to be getting plenty of calories right now. If you are veggie, eat lots of beans and quinoa with coconut oil. You can switch them out later if you notice a particular problem with them through your journal. I know that it's tempting to try to fix your gut right away, but there's not really a quick fix here believe me, I've tried. Give yourself time, I was veggie for 15 years and have become a meat eater slowly over the last few as I've realized that it is what's healthy for me. Be easy with yourself and think healing thoughts.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Definitely check ALL your supplements, and if you need to find hypoallergenic ones, Kirkman's is great. I just received my order of CLO, Cal-Mag, colostrum, and probiotics.

Keep up with the block feeding and the delatching. DS had green mucosy poos from oversupply that we cured in a few weeks of block feeding.

Your chicken may be soy fed, so you may want to investigate local pastured chickens and pastured eggs (eat the yolk only).

I agree with the epsom salts baths too, add a little lavendar and its very relaxing!

·
Registered
198 Posts

I hate reading stories like these! I feel terrible for you, I went threw nearly the same thing. My son is allergic to nearly everything.
I would suggest the food journal and checking every thing you are eating/using that is not a single ingredient for all the ingredients and checking what they could be or be related to. I know corn is not always a suspect but a horrible allergy and in everything so maybe look into that too.

Good luck!

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
this is from another mama I know- we are both chiropractors... "vinegar smelling loose poop is a BIG indicator of faulty carbohydrate metabolism (usually inherited or familial in origin) figuring out WHAT carb is the prob is the issue... often lactose but not always."
many babies with "colic" have food sensitivities/allergies so I think you're on the right track. ((hugs))

HTH!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi I'm new here...I'm sorry you are going through all of this. I've been through similiar with allergies and overactive letdownw ith my 3rd. I wanted to add that some people feel that green poop can be from an abundance of foremilk which is what babies get first (hindmilk, the fattier, comes after several minutes nursing). Babies who have trouble staying latched on because of fast flow usually get more of the thinner foremilk, but keep gaining weight normally. They tend to be hungrier quicker, more irritable and have green poops. But, that is just one theory...

I've dealt with dairy and soy allergies but as for the rest I have read that if a child has a severe allergy to dairy, they may not be able to tolerate meat from cows either.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Wow your in Flagstaff- I went to NAU many many moons ago and LOVE Flag
:
I'm so sorry to hear about your poor baby I just went through the same thing with my baby it was REALLY hard but if you are VERY committed to nursing and REALLY want that to work out it can. I suggest going on a TED (only for 4-5 days and if things don't get better by the end then start switching out food). Going on the TED REALLY stinks and is sooooooooooo hard but its what helped me finally figure out what was wrong with my baby which btw, diary, soy, wheat, corn, egg, sunflower seeds and peanuts. I have really changed a huge part of my life and it wasn't easy (she's now 10 months old) but it was so worth it! Come here for support it's been a lifesaver for me. And stay nursing it really is the best for your baby and you, much easier to change our diet then to find a formula that doesn't hurt really sensitive babies! Good luck and keep us posted!

·
Registered
431 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by LorenaAZ View Post
Thank you so much for all of your support and encouragement. You have no idea how much I needed it. Every time she poops, the thought comes up that I do have formula in the kitchen, and that maybe that will make her feel better than my milk. It's such a conflicted feeling knowing that "breast is best" while you are hurting your baby when you should be nourishing her.

I am too too familiar with this thought. Please, please, please replace it with the opposite. You are nourishing your baby, above and beyond what many are willing to consider. Try thinking, my milk is full of love (I know it is). I am giving my baby the best most perfect food available to her (also true). Imagine light flowing into her as she nurses. Whatever you can manage, I know it is hard to see your little one in pain.

We've decided to cut out all supplements and go on a TED. I really hope this helps my little love. How long should I wait with the TED before admitting defeat and switching to other foods? We are doing organic brown rice, free range antibiotic free turkey, organic zucchini, and organic pears. Filtered water to drink.

Please think healing thoughts for us. It is very difficult to stay positive when our attempts have failed so far.
I didn't have any luck with the TED, so I'm sorry I can't be of much help there. Keep the food journal! And ditto the fats!

·
Premium Member
4,451 Posts
My DD didn't have "allergies", but the green mucousy poop sounds very familiar - in my case, it was a reaction to raw fruit and too much vitamin C. I had to cook all the fruit I ate with her for about 4 months, then it got better. Just one more thought to add into the mix... Good luck, it is so hard when you know your little one isn't comfortable!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.