Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
15,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
dd is 4 and woke up this morning with achey limbs and a fever of 102. She's in a fine mood but seems a bit tired and not her usual self. She's also complained that her fingers feel weird when she moves them (hard to get details from her!) but the best I can figure is that they don't feel like they move smoothly to her.

Any idea what it is?

UPDATE:

She's not complaining of a headache. I gave her some tylenol but don't know what else to do. She says her tummy hurts too but will not eat.

Update #2:
She just fell asleep on the couch after I gave her chamomilla.

update #3: Just got her cleaned up in bed. She woke up and vomited up all her medicine. Got her bathed. She says body cold head is hot.

Help!

·
Registered
9,322 Posts
My niece once had something similar, and initially the doctors assumed it was Lyme Disease. It turned out not to be Lyme disease, but I guess Lyme often manifests that way... ?

Are you in an area where Lyme disease is a possiblity?

·
Registered
15,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't think so. It just happened today.

She's not in pain. I just wanted to know what it might be so I can give her some homepathics to help it along.

·
Registered
15,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
arthritis presents with tiredness, headache and fever?

·
Premium Member
17,826 Posts
I would assume it is just a passing virus. They can cause the strangest symptoms. Last year ds2 had a similar virus and his hand swelled up to twice its size, no pain in it at all. Also many viruses leave your joints sore.

Are her eyes sensitive to light? Any rash?

I would have thought lyme disease too, except for the stomach ache isn't usually associated with lyme disease.

I suggest keeping her hydrated and having her lie low, and keep a bucket by the bed! If she isn't in pain and her temp doesn't get too high, I wouldn't give her anything. Best to let it run its course and the fever helps.

I know how scary it can be when your child is sick!

·
Registered
15,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
no rash

Quote:

Originally Posted by momto l&a
Can you give her sodium ascorbate to help her body fight whatever?
I don't know what that is.

·
Registered
4,976 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by mamao'two

Quote:

Originally Posted by momto l&a
Can you give her sodium ascorbate to help her body fight whatever?

I don't know what that is.
vitamin C

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
Just sounds like the flu to me.

·
Registered
15,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I did give her tylenol for the headache, she was just miserable. She's feeling a lot better with that. Eating some applesauce now. And she's definitely getting Vit C.

·
Registered
6,878 Posts
Sounds like viral gastroenteritis to me, the most common non-bacterial "stomach flu." My hands and fingers feel weird when I get a high fever too. I hope she's better soon.

·
Banned
1,548 Posts
Those could be symptoms of Lyme Disease as others mentioned, or another tick bourne illness such as Ehrlichiosis or Babesia. Babesia causes vomiting more often. It's rare to be diagnosed with that, though, as doctors tend not to run the test for it and some people tend to not have symptoms and get over it on their own. The fever would also be tied more to Babesia than Lyme. And one does not neccessarily have to see a bulls-eye rash in order to have Lyme or other tick bourne illnesses (TBI). Many people with TBI never even saw the tick.

Good luck.

·
Registered
15,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by race_kelly
How's she doing?
thanks for asking.

She was great this morning, happy but feverish. This afternoon she got another headache and the fever went up again. She took a long nap and is now up and wants to eat junk food (chicken fingers that daddy's friends ordered from delivery). For now I'm letting her as long as she'll take vitamins and drink juice. We'll try for veggies later when she's feeling better. It would be disaster to insist on it right now.

Again, thanks for asking. If she's not doing better by Monday her doc wants to see her. Let's hope she's fine and that no one else gets it.

·
Registered
8,236 Posts
I agree with the PP that
Lyme or another TBD could be the culprit - has she been playing out in the grass or woods? If my kids had a fever like that & headache, I'd be concerned. I know many are against abx, but I'd consider putting her on them if I couldn't find an alternative diagnosis - esp. at this time of year, that's suspicious.

Just my thoughts, maybe pass it by her ped, although most docs are very Lyme-ILLITERATE. You MUST catch it early though, very important.

·
Registered
15,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
She's not been outside to play in quite a while as its been really hot here.

To be honest you all are freaking me out. Couldn't it just be a flu with a headache?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts