Mothering Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is VX Nerve Gas?

VX Nerve Agent is a WEAPON OF MASS DESTRUCTION!!!

http://www.delawareriverkeeper.org/takeaction/urgent-action.asp?ID=1

The ARMY plans to dump VX Nerve gas into the Delaware river, which will contaminate the Chesapeake Bay, which is the Delaware beaches water. The Chesapeake Bay leads directly into the Atlantic Ocean. See page below to see exactly where the Delaware River is, and what effect it would have.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delaware_River

The next link is what they are planning to do, and how to write a letter to stop them

http://www.delawareriverkeeper.org/t...ction.asp?ID=1

Even if you don't live near the area as my family does, please don't think that this doesn't affect you, because if they do it here, it is only a matter of time before they dump toxic chemicals where you live. Who knows what affect this chemical will have on our environment, and our ecosystem! I am terrified, what will this do to my family? My drinking water? Do you eat Oysters? The Army plans to dump where there are a large number of Oyster beds, I suppose they think that the Oysters will filter out the chemicals? What about our watermen? How will they make a living, if the Oyster beds are contaminated? Ever enjoyed a Crab cake sandwich? All of this is being threatened! All I am asking is for a few moments of your time, to help protect The Delaware/New Jersey Waters!

Thanks for you time, and let me know what you think, Kaara

·
Premium Member
1,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The thing is, how safe is safe? If it can be destroyed, or rendered harmless, why bring it all the way here? If it is safe, why must it be diluted in the ocean? Why not dump it in Indiana? I'm not trying to say I want it dumped there, but why here? New Jersey decided to go along with it, because the money they are going to get will build a new boardwalk. What will we get? Like every ecosystem, ours is Unique to the Eastern Shore, how can I be sure that when my kids go top the beach, they aren't swimming in a neuro-toxin? If at one point the nerve agent was a weapon of mass destruction how can it be completely benign? Would you want it dumped where you live, near your water? Seriously, do you believe everything the Government tells you?

·
Registered
3,732 Posts
I live on the river and have been trying to keep up with this mess. The spot where i take my kids was already found to illegally have dumped some scary stuff. Some days it feels hopeless.

And why ship it all the way out here?!?!

·
Registered
453 Posts
I wrote a letter because I agree that this is horrible. There is no way that there isn't going to be any adverse effects of this. Good luck.. the military is a hard orginization to fight.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
I also live on the river, right in the town from which they plan to dump it. They can keep their boardwalk. I don't want it. The newspapers here a while back said there was nothing to worry about, because the treated VX would be as harmless as drain cleaner. Drain cleaner?!?
: A million gallons of drain cleaner is supposed to be harmless to the river?
:
: I must be missing something.

·
Registered
3,611 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by meisterfrau View Post
I also live on the river, right in the town from which they plan to dump it. They can keep their boardwalk. I don't want it. The newspapers here a while back said there was nothing to worry about, because the treated VX would be as harmless as drain cleaner. Drain cleaner?!?
: A million gallons of drain cleaner is supposed to be harmless to the river?
:
: I must be missing something.

Drain Cleaner!?!?! would you sin in deluted drain cleaner!? would you cook with it?

I think not! rediculous!

I live in Maryland and I've not heard about this at all! UGH! this would effect the whole east coast would it not? atleast the northern/middle areas. So depressing! so infuriating! *sigh*

1 - 12 of 12 Posts