Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

We've been using CDs basically since the day DD came home from the hospital. She's 3 months old now and while we've had some red bum here and there, nothing major. We mainly use FB and BG but occasionally prefolds and covers.

This morning I noticed she had a raised dotty red rash on the back of her bum, actually above where her tiny crack ends. It goes on either side and looks so uncomfortable. She doesn't seem to mind but I feel so bad for her.

From reading it sounds to me like yeast...someone had suggested using lavender EO to treat it but putting it on straight doesn't seem quite right. I am leery of using OTC meds or gentian violet without an actual diagnosis from a doc.

Do you have any suggestions? Why would it be in such a weird place? She does also have some red bumps on the front but my MIL said that looked like heat rash. Ugh.

Thanks!

· Registered
1,598 Posts
Essential Oils should never be applied directly without a carrier oil.

that includes TTO.

Synthetics get weird and can start to create a rash. Are your diapers made from natural or un-natural materials.

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the info; i got some clarification from the person who told me that initially and she recommended diluting 4 or 5 drops in a teaspoon of olive oil (since that's what i have on hand).

the diapers are synthetic; i really hope they're not the issue but we'll see what happens. it already looks a little better after very meticulous diaper changes today (i think DD might have just been sitting in something not quite absorbent enough last night) so i am hopeful it will clear up.

· Registered
2,029 Posts
we had a rash that wouldn't go away with anything I tried... until I diluted tto in olive oil. Within a day the rash that had been there for a month and a half was gone! I continued with the tto treatment for another day just to be sure and a month later it hasn't come back. (also a raised dotty red rash like you described) Good luck, I hope it goes away quickly.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.