Mothering Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7,987 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by littlegiggler
Someone please tell me that you were 31 cm at 33 weeks and your babies weren't tiny!!
My DD measured 2-3 cm shy of the number of weeks throughout my pregnancy. She was born at 38w5d at 7 pounds 7 oz.

The more important thing to keep track of is how the fundal height grows from week to week. It matter more that you see ~4cm growth in 4 week than it matters to see the #cm = #weeks pregnant.

Was this you first fundal height measurement?

When did you get a
?

Also, my midwife (with 30 years experience) first measured my fundal height at my last appointment as 34 cm (I'm 37 weeks, measuring 1-2 weeks "ahead"). She scratched her head, checked again, and said "whoops, that was baby tush, not the uterus." I think it's an easy measurement to screw up.

to MDC Stick around!

·
Registered
869 Posts
My baby has been measuring small - but my baby is REALLY low in my pelvis. The midwife or nurse doing the measurement always gets nervous - but then I tell her to check the head position because it is really low. And then they laugh and relax again and say "yep, that sure is low!" I've been consistently 2-3 weeks "low" in measurement. But they say my baby is indeed perfectly normal!

·
Registered
11,188 Posts
Fundal height measurements should be mainly for fun and trivia! They just seem SO inaccurate, especially for dating a pregnancy. Depending on the position of the baby, the posture of the mother, the person taking the measurement... things just CHANGE!

Now, did the MW say, "Well, maybe you're not due until later in January?" or did she say, "Oh, you have your dates wrong. This baby is not coming until mid-January." Sometimes people talk in possibilities, but when we walk away it sounds like definites.

Welcome to posting on MDC. Wishing you a happy healthy pregnancy... no matter what your fundal height is!

·
Registered
457 Posts
hey hidey ho and welcome littlegiggler,
after 22-24 weeks the ultrasound accuracy plummets. you could be talking about +/- 2 weeks and +/- 2 pds at this point. i would just go with the flow and see if the fundal increases. i have also measured small at several appts ( i assure you i'm NOT!) and midwife says baby is low, low, low. no prob.

any chance you remember first kicks? that could help a little bit.

my dates are uncertain too. i was very sick and never got my period the month i conceived, so who knows when this kid will come. we can just hope ahead of christmas, right? might check out the thread on EPO!

·
Registered
346 Posts
It can just happen that way! Myself, I have the opposite problem. I went to my 34 week appt. and measured at 38! I went in the same day for an ultrasound, and according to bone lengths, head size (NOT weight), he is in fact as big as a 38 wk. babe!
I was charting, though, so I know for a fact when he was conceived, so I'm just growing a BIG BABY in there!

·
Registered
8,238 Posts
I think couch measurements are always off too cause you are kind of sunken down in the middle. LOL

I dont think it really matters if you measure a few weeks off so long as baby is growing. I have been measuring about 3-4 weeks ahead (I also had a miscarriage prior to this and then had 3 months of no periods so my dates could be way off) the whole time until yesterday, I measured 2 weeks LESS than I did last time! LOL She said the baby's head was very low and could be from that and that any number of things can change your measurements. The way the baby is positioned, amount of amniotic fluid, if baby is low or high, etc. I'm sure everything is fine!

·
Registered
869 Posts
As a side comment I have to say it strikes me kind of funny sometimes how much importance everyone places on measurements and trying to line them up with dates etc. When you think about it, everyone, absolutely everyone is different in so many ways (tall short fat thin funny serious etc.). Pregnancy overall can be charted and watched and predicted according to "norms" - BUT how many pregnancies indeed go absolutely to norm? Very very few. Even if you have a perfectly average and "normal" pregnancy, you could still be growing a giant off the charts baby! Or vice versa.

I guess we all like to have some sense of what's going on though, just because we can and certainly it does help us plan.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.