Mothering Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My newborn doesn't sleep. I don't mean he's up often to nurse -- I'd expect that. I mean he's up all night long, squirming in obvious discomfort. It's almost 5 am and he's been up since 9 pm. And while he sleeps a bit more during the day, he's often uncomfortable then too.

I think it's gas... I'm trying to have the blandest, dairy-free diet possible, but no change thus far. Someone mentioned overactive letdown, so I've been trying to nurse reclined. No change. He also spits up a lot. My last baby was a reflux, colic baby. I hope we're not going down that path again.

I've tried homeopathy and traditional gas drops. No change.

Sorry if this is a whiny post. I haven't slept in two years with the first one, and I didn't think this would happen again. The poor thing is very uncomfortable, and nothing I do helps!! Even sleeping on my stomach (which helped Thomas a bit) doesn't make him comfy. He just fusses and fusses. Could it be something else? He nurses more because he wants comfort, but it seems to make the fussiness worse each time.

If anyone has any enlightment, please share. I can't watch him be like this.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No... I didn't even think of that. I really like my chiropractor though. Will call tomorrow and see if he works with infants. (His wife is a midwife, so could be!)

Thanks for the suggestion.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
I went through the same thing with DS

He ended up sleeping best in a vibrating bouncer chair or a swing when he was so uncomfortable that he couldn't sleep.
:
I think that being partially upright along with some kind of motion was what did it.

Have you eliminated soy from your diet? There is Soy in lots of products that you wouldn't expect...

I really hope that you can get some good advice and get this worked out. It is sooo hard to watch your little one be so miserable...and then to not be getting any sleep yourself.
I'm sorry

Have you tried posting in Breastfeeding Issues? I know that my sons digestion problems were directly related to breastfeeding, and I think that it was an allergy that we were never able to figure out.

Oh...he also fell asleep if I would drive him around in the car.
:

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I went through the same thing with DS

He ended up sleeping best in a vibrating bouncer chair or a swing when he was so uncomfortable that he couldn't sleep.
:
I think that being partially upright along with some kind of motion was what did it.

Have you eliminated soy from your diet? There is Soy in lots of products that you wouldn't expect...

QUOTE]

Sounds like you are describing my first DS! He slept in the bouncy chair too.

I didn't know soy was an issue, but yes, it's definitely in my diet... since I was avoiding dairy... and I'm a vegetarian. My midwife says I'm losing weight too quickly but I don't know what the frig to eat!

I will cross post in breastfeeding issues. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Try feeding from one breast for several feedings then switching to the other breast for several feedings. I did this for our fussy baby and so far it is working really well. Gas comes from the high levels of lactose in your foremilk, if the baby nurses until the breast is nearly empty he/she gets more fat and less lactose than if you switched breasts during a single feeding.

If any of this info is incorrect, please correct it, but so far this method has worked well for me.

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by prancie View Post
Try feeding from one breast for several feedings then switching to the other breast for several feedings. I did this for our fussy baby and so far it is working really well. Gas comes from the high levels of lactose in your foremilk, if the baby nurses until the breast is nearly empty he/she gets more fat and less lactose than if you switched breasts during a single feeding.

If any of this info is incorrect, please correct it, but so far this method has worked well for me.
No, it's correct. The LC told me the same thing this morning.
Block feeding. I'm hoping it will help.

I'll try swaddling again too, though so far he gets really distressed when I do it.

·
Registered
3,706 Posts
If it's overactive letdown, I think it would also help to pump first, then put the baby on the breast. (Assuming he can wait a little while to eat, or you can predict when he's about to get hungry.)

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Elevating our bed to 45 degrees helped eliminate pretty much all of the kicking, grunting, reflux-related stuff that ds had. Just be careful, he tends to roll all over the place now..luckily dh doesn't sleep w/us much or else I would be too worried. Anyways, it has helped his reflux immensely!!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.