Mothering Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My newborn doesn't sleep. I don't mean he's up often to nurse -- I'd expect that. I mean he's up all night long, squirming in obvious discomfort. It's almost 5 am and he's been up since 9 pm. And while he sleeps a bit more during the day, he's often uncomfortable then too.

I think it's gas... I'm trying to have the blandest, dairy-free diet possible, but no change thus far. Someone mentioned overactive letdown, so I've been trying to nurse reclined. No change. He also spits up a lot. My last baby was a reflux, colic baby. I hope we're not going down that path again.

I've tried homeopathy and traditional gas drops. No change.

Sorry if this is a whiny post. I haven't slept in two years with the first one, and I didn't think this would happen again. The poor thing is very uncomfortable, and nothing I do helps!! Even sleeping on my stomach (which helped Thomas a bit) doesn't make him comfy. He just fusses and fusses. Could it be something else? He nurses more because he wants comfort, but it seems to make the fussiness worse each time.

If anyone has any enlightment, please share. I can't watch him be like this. Someone on the breastfeeding board suggested chiropractic, which I am going to call tomorrow.

Thanks.

·
Registered
496 Posts
did you take my baby? bless you're heart no flames please but I gave my lo a few drops of mylanta (the aluminum free one) and that totally answered my ? about refflux brand new kid! also have you tried to elim soy? its a pita but seems to help things tremendously in my lo!

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No, but you're the second person who told me to elim soy. It's hard... because I had to eliminate dairy, and I'm a vegetarian, so it will be difficult to find good protein sources. But if that's what it takes, then I'll get rid of the soy too.

·
Registered
678 Posts
My little one was like this early on but it passed. I would press his knees into his chest and it totally helped him release the gas (yes, fart, tee hee). Also I gave him some baby probiotics and that may have helped. He would also be fussy if he wet himself at night and I didn't change him right away. Could that be it too? You might also want to look at a baby massage book. There are some great gas moving strokes that might help if you give him a bedtime massage.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
With mine, I drank dill seed tea (it wasn't too bad), or you could try fennel tea. I don't think the dill worked with him though.

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Deir View Post
((hugs)) You must be tired!! Could it be oversupply issues? Is he gaining super fast, any green stools? (oversupply) Is there mucus in his stool? (allergy)
Another good question, what does he sound like when nursing? Does he have to gulp?

·
Registered
255 Posts
If it is gas, I have always found that some belly pressure helps. Try walking with baby's belly on your shoulder or lay him across your lap so his belly is on your knee. I have a lot of stomach issues and a little bit of pressure makes a lot of difference...hope its just a passing phase and he settles down soon!

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by studentmama View Post
Another good question, what does he sound like when nursing? Does he have to gulp?
Sometimes. And yes, sometimes his stool is green. I didn't know that was due to oversupply. Too much foremilk then?

I've been nursing in a semi-reclined position, and doing two hour block feedings. What else can I do to resolve the oversupply issue?

I'm taking him to the ped today too... because looking in the back of his throat when he yawns, I think I see thrush.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.