Mothering Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So DS has never been sick before and I'm new to this.

He's 27 months and ovr the last hour became very lethargic, threw up and has a fever of 102.

I just put him to bed and am scared out of my mind.

I plan on monitoring his fever all night and giving Motrin or Tylenol if it gets to 104.

His hands and feet are very cold.

My husband typed fever, cold hands and vomiting in Google and came back with Meningitis.

Do fevers normally coem with cold hands and feet or is this a symptom that goes with Meningitis?

What do I do mamas??

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Hi Mama,

I'm sorry your babe is sick. I don't know much about menengitis, but I think he would have a stiff neck - wouldn't be able to look down (rather than from side to side), from what I understand. Other mamas will come by to confirm though, I'm sure. If not, google the specific symptoms for meningitis - you should be able to find more than just those two symptoms (fever and cold hands).

Are you still breastfeeding? If so, keep him hydrated with bm. If not, let me know and I can get you a recipe for electrolytes. You want to keep him as hydrated as possible.

My ds got some throwing-up type bug last spring and threw up for a few days (on and off). He threw up quite a bit for the first couple of hours, then it slowed down to like once every 12 hours, then once a day. Probably for three or four days total. He was lethargic for the first 30 hours, I would guess, then got his personality back.

It's normal for them to get little illnesses here and there. DS got a bunch (like three or four) of viruses last winter/spring. Usually a decent fever (104+) and some lethargy. Twice he had some sort of rash (viral rash). These things happen - try not to think the worst right away.

Hugs to you! You're doing great. Your little one will be fine, I'm sure.

Melissa

ETA - here is a recipe for electrolytes if you need it. It's from a thread I started when ds was sick with the above mentioned throwing up. I'm still bf'ing and will probably continue until ds is a little over three to get us through next winter's cold/flu season... Here's the recipe, posted by thoesly:

"In case anyone's interested, according to Sears' The Family Nutrition Book, "add 1 teaspoon of salt. . .to 1 quart of diluted juice, to taste, and you've made your own sports drink" (p. 368). "

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Still_Learning View Post
My husband typed fever, cold hands and vomiting in Google and came back with Meningitis.
I typed those in and I also got info on meningitis. But, I also got info on colds. The first thing returned was on colds. The simplist answer is usually the right one.

Keep him close. Keep him warm and hydrated.

·
Registered
686 Posts
I just wanted to let you know that when my son gets a fever his hands and feet are always cold. My dd hasn't had a fever yet but My feet and hands become cold when I am feverish. I thought it was just something that happened to be honest with you. I will be sending healing energy your way.

·
Registered
530 Posts
the main symptom to watch for in Meningitis is purple colored spots that don't blanch. Also, extremely painful headache. At 27 months your ds should be able to convey headache to you...

At this point, make sure he stays hydrated and is arousable (you don't have to wake him up, just check that he stirs when you touch him/make noise). If his fever stays up wake him up once or twice through the night to give him sips of water/watered down juice.
If he vomits again give him one sip every 15 minutes if he can tolerate it.
If you are breastfeeding...sleep with him and let him snack all night!

hope he feels better soon. His immune system is working.

I am an ER nurse(and the advice above is my opinion), I have 2 small children (who I let have high fevers without tylenol/motrin), and I have had meningitis.

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you so much mamas. Wow, I was in quite a panic, huh??

I've had time to breathe and realize that kids, do in fact, get sick. Regular ole sick, and it doesn't mean something terrible is happening.

So I will take all the above advice and be thankful for all your help

I am still breasfeeding, so we'll be snuggled up as usual tonight.

I'll let you all know how he is in the morning.

THANK YOU!!!!

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm glad to hear about the cold hands and feet...that is making me feel a lot better. His hands are warm now, but his feet are cold.

I'm going to go join himin bed (he's woken 3 times already, so he's not TOO lathergic...)

Thanks

·
Registered
8,343 Posts
Just follow your instincts.
I know that sounds overly simplistic, but when kids get meningitis, moms know something is very, very, very wrong.

It's always scary when your baby is sick, and babies (and little kids) generally act "kinda weird" when they're sick, too.

I wouldn't medicate the fever for two reasons in your case:
1) fever is almost always good and helpful
2) if, say, his fever spikes, and he starts vomiting and becoming scarily lethargic all at once, you want to know everything that's going on, so you can know if you need to go to the ER and have a clear history of what's been going on.

That said, I'm not totally opposed to giving a little tylenol to an absolutely miserable kid just so they can be in less misery.
But don't do it out of a fear of fever.
Fever is your friend.

·
Registered
7,476 Posts
medicating a fever, particularly if the fever is meningitis fever, is a risk factor for serious meningococcal disease. The reason for that is that Motrin or Tylenol, both down regulate the immune system allowing the bacteria a better grip in the body and resulting in more mayhem.

So I'd be very reluctant to use anything to obstruct the way the immune system works. Fever is there for a reason, and because it has a function. If you reduce it, its like shutting of sprinklers in a ceiling when there is a fire. Why would you want to?

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for all the great info.

Ya know, I had read all that before and always thought I'd be fine with not medicating a fever, but in the real life situation, I freaked.

(I didn't medicate btw
)

His fever is only 101 right now.

It was just so scarey. I never would have expected him to get so sick so fast. He got scarey lethargic, vomited and got a fever all at once and quite suddenly. I've always read that if the child is acting very differnt from usual that you should worry and he was acting completely opposite from normal.

This is a child that has never, even as an infant, fallen asleep in the car. This is also a child that stays up until 10pm no matter what. We had been out and got int he car at 7:30. As soon as I got him in his carseat I could tell something was wrong. He couldn't keep his eyes open. It was like he was passing out, not falling asleep.

I tried talking to him and rousing him, and he just couldn't wake up. This is not like him. He's the lightest sleeper in the world. When we sneak in the room at night, he wakes up just from the change in air pressure from opeing the door...

So that's why I freaked. He was acting like somehting was very very very wrong. If he had just had a fever and thrown up, I wouldn't have thought much of it. The way he was acting though...I've never seen anything like it.

He's up (and it's 4am...) and acting totally normal now

Just wanted to explain my panic.

Thanks so much mamas.

·
Registered
7,476 Posts
My older one would spike all temperatures at 105, which is freak material for most people, but never did I treat it. Interestingly it would go through him very fast, and usually about the time I'd figured out what I might do next, he'd be up and gone.

The younger one on the other hand had a much faster increase in temperature with projectile vomitting, but rarely would go above 103. But on the other hand, his temperatures would last a lot longer.

Over the years, I figured out that for my children, the lower the temperature the longer it lasted, and the higher the temperature the shorter it lasted.

The older one would always kark out and sleep, but the younger one would grizzle and want to be held.

They are all different. Experience comes through error and trial

·
Registered
14,488 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Still_Learning View Post
Thanks for all the great info.

Ya know, I had read all that before and always thought I'd be fine with not medicating a fever, but in the real life situation, I freaked.

(I didn't medicate btw
)

His fever is only 101 right now.

It was just so scarey. I never would have expected him to get so sick so fast. He got scarey lethargic, vomited and got a fever all at once and quite suddenly. I've always read that if the child is acting very differnt from usual that you should worry and he was acting completely opposite from normal.

This is a child that has never, even as an infant, fallen asleep in the car. This is also a child that stays up until 10pm no matter what. We had been out and got int he car at 7:30. As soon as I got him in his carseat I could tell something was wrong. He couldn't keep his eyes open. It was like he was passing out, not falling asleep.

I tried talking to him and rousing him, and he just couldn't wake up. This is not like him. He's the lightest sleeper in the world. When we sneak in the room at night, he wakes up just from the change in air pressure from opeing the door...

So that's why I freaked. He was acting like somehting was very very very wrong. If he had just had a fever and thrown up, I wouldn't have thought much of it. The way he was acting though...I've never seen anything like it.

Thanks so much mamas.
So glad that he is doing better. You know it seem kids that get sick so quickly get well just as quickly. Their immune systems know just what to do.

Now you have to remember what he is like when he is sick. Next time you will immediately recognize it and say, ok, he is not doing well...he is going to sleep it off.. and it is alright. There is not much you can do. It is best to listen to him and let him guide you.

You did well. First time is scary. You'll become and expert on your child's health condition before too long.

·
Registered
8,343 Posts
Quote:

Thanks so much mamas.
Then you were right to freak out and be hypervigilant.

Glad he's feeling better now.

·
Registered
9,488 Posts
My oldest (16) almost always gets very, very lethargic when he's feverish. He gets really flushed and logey, refuses to eat or drink, and just wants to sleep it off. His temp usually spikes way up real fast, then slowly comes down. This cycle can happen several times during the course of an illness.

Because he's my first, I used to panic when this happened - I've never really been into 'treating' a fever, but I want to make sure my kids are well hydrated when they're spiking a fever. I have learned that, in general, just leaving him alone to sleep it off works fastest and best.

The other three aren't as extreme when they're feverish.

I understand that it's difficult NOT to worry, though. A few years ago, during a supposed "deadly flu epidemic" in my area, my 6-yo caught the flu. We were at a Christmas party at church - and his temp suddenly spiked, he couldn't stand up, he vomited. Although I was calm and reassured on the outside, I was in total mental panic for awhile. A few hours later, he was bouncing off the walls and I was laughing at myself.

Congrats on making it 27 months without illness, mama!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts