·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
<p>Hi everyone,</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I am a newbie so apologies for some dumb questions:</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I am an "older mama" (almost 40) and am starting TTC #2.  My cycle was about 28 days with some "blips" caused by stress.  Anyhow, for the last few months my cycle has been about 27-28 days so pretty regular.  I use the Clearblue Fertility Monitor and it has shown Day 14 and Day 15 as my "high fertility" days.  </p>
<p> </p>
<p>This past month we "dtd" on Day 14 when it showed high fertility (sorry TMI!!!).  Anyway I was mildly hopeful but now on Day 24 I start spotting! :(    I am freaking because not only am I starting my period (just spotting) but I am jumping to conclusions and thinking I am perimenopausal!  :(    Why else would I get my period 4 days early?? </p>
<p> </p>
<p>Should I start drinking Fertilaid Tea and taking Vitex?  Should I jump to taking Clomid (my ob/gyn gave it to me without testing for anything just when I said I might want TTC)?  </p>
<p> </p>
<p>Could the CBFM be completely wrong?</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Thank you if you have read this far, and thank you in advance for any suggestions. :)</p>

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
<p>Actually, don't freak out yet if it's just spotting.... This could actually be a very GOOD thing. It *could* be implantation spotting from the egg implanting in your uterus. LOTS of women have it before getting their BFP!</p>
<p> </p>
<p>However, it could also be something else as well... If it's spotting, you haven't actually started your period yet.... Day 1 of your cycle is when you have actual bright red flow that you have to use a pad or tampon for. The CBFM is a good start but if you don't get your BFP this month, I suggest charting at fertilityfriend.com. It will give you a better idea about your cycle and where you are in it. It could be from low progesterone... in that case, I would try a B complex with at least 50mg of B6 and this will help with that. I definitely wouldn't jump to the clomid just yet... but that's just me. A lot of people swear by it. though... I've never used it. Good Luck! I hope you don't have to do any of this though and get your BFP in a few days! Good luck and keep us updated! :)</p>

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
<p>jaetrying: Don't jump to the conclusion that you're perimenopausal yet!</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Spotting before your period is often caused by low progesterone levels. There are a lot of women on this board who know more about this than I do, but progesterone supplements are often prescribed or purchased over the counter to help with it. You could also ask your doctor to test your progesterone levels and see if they are low during your 2ww.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>There are lots of other things that can cause spotting - implantation being high on the list. You're at 10dpo, right? So it's definitely possible it's implantation spotting.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Keep track of the spotting and pay attention to the color of the blood and if it becomes flow. Just because you're spotting doesn't mean AF is here. Don't give up hope :)</p>

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
<p>Thanks for the great advice and the supportive comments.  Alas it really is AF starting today. :(    A few quick questions:</p>
<p> </p>
<p>1) Do I count the first spotting day as Day#1, or the first real AF day as Day #1?</p>
<p> </p>
<p>2) I guess my luteal phase is about 10-11 days, but I need to lengthen it to 13-14 days to have a better chance to TTC.  How much B6 and Vitex Elixir would be a good dose, and do I take it starting now?</p>
<p> </p>
<p>3) When I use CBFM I usually jump from low fertility to Peak, nothing in between.  Does this signify an issue I should be addressing?</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Sorry for the random and possibly dumb questions, and again I am so so grateful for your advice and support. </p>
<p> </p>
<p>Thank you.</p>

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
<p>Well, I can't address the Vitex or the mnitor question as I'm not familiar with their use. But CD1 is the first day of true AF flow, not the fist day of spotting. And, a 10 or 11 day luteal phase isn't terrible, so don't stress about it too much. 10 days is considered the minimum necessary. So if you managed to length your LP by a day or so that would be great, but don't feel that you need a 13 or 14 day LP to conceive. A 10 or 11 day LP will do you just fine :)</p>

1 - 5 of 5 Posts