Mothering Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
tile floors with? I worry about having residue on the floors with DD in contact with them so much. I don't want her ingesting harmful chemicals! what is a safe alternative cleaner that doesn't leave any residue???

also, what do you clean your kitchen counters with? I always feel like I shouldn't touch ours while I'm cooking b/c of any cleaner that might be left on there. Thanks so much!

btw..I had no idea where to post this so i hope this is okay! thanks!!!

·
Premium Member
3,325 Posts
We don't have tile floors, but I know many moms who use a vinegar/water solution for cleaning floors.

For countertops I use a mixture of Borax, vinegar, distilled water, and liquid soap (not detergent, but true soap).

--Kari

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
We use vinegar and water too. For really sticky areas or major cleaning, we will sprinkle with baking soda and spray vinegar directly on the floor. This makes a foam which loosens any stuck on gunk. We use the same solution to clean our oven and unclog drains- so it is pretty powerful.

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
I have started making my own cleaner for my whole house (except tough bathroom areas).
In a gallon bottle of water (with alittle off the top) I add 1 cup of vinegar, a tablespoon of Dr Bronners castile soap and a few drops of Tea Tree Oil.
I put it full strength in a spraybottle for all over cleaning. And I put a cup of it in a bucket for mopping.
I found straight vinegar/water was too vinegary to me and I hated the smell.
This smells good and spicy. It gives that "just cleaned" smell that you might be used to with pinesol or something. But with no harmful chemicals.
I even clean my cutting board with it.
I love this cleaner!

Joline

·
Premium Member
2,215 Posts
I clean pretty much everything with vinegar and baking soda (you can add essential oils to the vinegar to mask the smell). For tile floors though, I just use hot water and a clean rag!

You might try perusing the natural home and body forum...there is lots of good info about natural cleaning over there.

·
Registered
7,321 Posts
i use a melaleuca product called melamagic with the active ingredient of tea tree oil in it. they are very safe products for the environment and don't have an awful cleaning scent. (my partner is super sensitive to those cleaner smells.) it does a very good job, too.

~claudia

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
For mopping I use 1 cup vinegar, 1 gallon of HOT water and 20 drops of pepperment oil. For cleaning the counters I use a spray bottle with half vinegar, half water and 20 drops of lavender oil. Both of the those essential oils are antibacterial and antifungal so I'm very secure in the fact that they really clean and disinfect. Congradulations on making the switch to non-chemical cleaners! Once you try it you'll never want to go back to the deathly things you used to pay $5 a bottle for
, I know I never will. You should check out the book "Clean Home, Clean Planet", by Karen Logan. It has recipes for every type of cleaner you could ask for, it really helped me when I was first gettinf started. Good luck

·
Registered
3,143 Posts
half vinegar half water for everything

i just wipe the counters with a soapy cloth except for maybe once a week when i'm really cleaning

someone gave me some products by ecosense. they really work well.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
sorry.. thought of one more thing! I have extremely sensitive skin (which is why i'm trying to find alternatives to the clorox wipes/swiffers/etc...they burn my skin so bad when i use them). If I get the vinegar solution on me while i'm cleaning, will it burn??? For the counters, does it leave any type of residue that i need to wipe off before using them? thanks again!!

·
Registered
10,795 Posts
I would use about 1/4-1/2 c. per bucket of water. I also add a squirt of dishsoap/dr. bronners. we have ceramic tile floor in our kitchen and that is what I use. I also have sensitive skin as well.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
floors? i am guilty of using chemicals now that we have that darn laminate stuff (pergo) in this house that we just bought.

but everything else...countertops? a dish-soapy rag with the soap from our co-op that's sort of enviro-friendly b/c it has no phosphates and a pretty simple consitution.

but i am all about the "cooties." that's why my cleaning habits are what they are - make it LOOK decent, withOUT sterilizing. (this is why i use the chemical on the pergo - it's about the look of "no streaks"). and why the toilets just get brushing, MAYBE baking soda if i feel they need it. (seldom).

the "germs" don't exist in the way we were taught in public school (or simply american school, public or private). pleomorphism. and really, either way, the "germies" on the counter make our immune systems stronger.

course, we don't have meat with all those conventionally-fed, antibiotic-ridden raw pork juice drippings on the counters......

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.