Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone please offer me some advice. I have a 9 month old and I am currently about 15 1/2 weeks pregnant. I am still nursing, although it is quite painful when she first gets latched on. My problem is my baby needs more than what I'm producing right now. I have some milk, but not a ton. I am giving her more solid foods since she seems to be so hungry, but not sure what I should give in addition to the breastmilk I have.

Should I give her some formula? :-( Organic Whole Milk?? Goat's milk? I'm really feeling she nees more than what I'm producing right now....I thought I heard in the past that you aren't supposed to give babies under 1 cow's milk because it caused their stomach to bleed or something??

Thanks for your help.
Sara

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by alegna View Post
I'd find a formula you can feel okay with. There are a couple of organic formulas on the market now.

-Angela
if you can't get breastmilk from someone else. i lost my milk around the same time, it is hard.

·
Registered
42,824 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by mothragirl View Post
if you can't get breastmilk from someone else.
Great minds
I was coming back to add the same thing.

Of course donated breastmilk would be best, but it can be hard to get.

-Angela

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
Also supplementing at the breast with a lactation aid would be your best bet to avoid nipple confusion and keep him at your breast even if you totally lose your milk later in the pregnancy.

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
Actually, 9 mo old offer a cup, don't even go the bottle route, it is a habit you'll just have to break and w a new baby, it's hard to add additional changes on a wean one.

A toddler stage 2 formula would be adequate, it's also a wee bit cheaper. I have known mothers who give dairy at this age. I would probably try raw dairy if that was your desire, we have dairy protein intolernaces so we're stuck with really disgusting tasting stuff.

That is another thing, call the formula companies and get free samples sent to you. You might find that your 9 mo old does not like the taste and will not drink it. Better to find out with a sample small size than $20 shelled out on a full size. Or your peds office, if they have samples. Ebay might have some sample sizes at a lesser cost or even FreeCycle.

Your basic milk based formulas taste the best, any deviation from those and the taste gets horribly bad and bitter.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.