Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I haven't had a bowel movement in 13 days. I think what finally set me over the edge is the Zofram the OB prescribed for the chronic m/s; what I thought was my new wonderpill has actually put me in quite a state. That in combination with the vitamins is really not working for me.

OB's office said to try Dulcolax suppositories, and if that didn't work to try an enema. I am EXTREMELY uncomfortable with the prospect of an enema. I used two suppositories last night and it was one of the worst experiences I have ever had in my life. Besides the extreme pain (I think I was purple pushing), the end result was three or four extremely tiny VERY hard pieces of mucus-covered grossness. I'm starting to get freaked out.

Today I am eating Metamucil crackers like they're going out of style, and I suppose I'll try another suppository tonight (although the thought of it makes me want to cry). I'm going to try and eat a lot of vegetables today, although with no Zofram, the m/s is back with a vengeance making vegetables wholly unappealing.

Any tricks? Am I allowed to take the oral Dulcolax, or must I stick with the suppositories? I'm desperate.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
dont freak out about an enema i promise u they r not that bad and when you are constipated really bad they r nice and Very helpful i have to have one or 2 every other month

·
Registered
556 Posts
I can only tell you the normal stuff ... eat fruit, drink apple juice, etc.

Hope you feel better soon!

I'm so lucky to not have to deal with this ...yet!

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just out of curiosity, when my coworkers come in to ask how I'm feeling 7 times a day, is it an okay response to say "pretty awful; I haven't pooped in 12 days." Think that would shut em up?

I TOTALLY spaced on the prunes. I'm gonna go get some at lunch.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Water, water, water, water - can you do 3-4 liters a day? Also, maybe stop your prenatals or opt for ones with less iron.

I've found acupuncture and water to be the biggest help. Seriously, I always go after a visit to the acupuncturist.

Regarding the enemas, they're probably safe, but I just can't do them. I miscarried almost immediately after an enema and psychologically I can't disassociate the two in my head, you know?

·
Registered
442 Posts
Oh, I almost forgot my triple whammy, I water load the day before, and then the next day I drink a glass of water in the morning, make a coffee and go for a quick walk. The combo of caffeine and exercise gets things moving while all the water from the day before makes everything easy to pass.

·
Registered
640 Posts
I'm so sorry. I've had the same side effect from Zofran. It's a very sad thing to truly know what it's like to shit a brick.

Do the enema. it's really not a big deal. It will solve most of the problem. Then try to cut back on the zofran along with increasing your daily fiber intake by a lot. and remember, fiber without water is cement.

If you don't deal with this now you'll get hemorrhoids from hell that will only get worse during delivery. Use the plain glycerin suppositories if you have 'roids from all this pushing. Things will slide a little easier and they won't bother you as much.

On the bright side, you're getting great practice for pushing out your baby. When I was pushing my dr said "think of it as the worst constipation you've ever had!" I thought, "Oh good, we'll take care of that, too."

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
I would second some of these suggestions - lots of water, fresh fruits and veggies, exercise. But what really helped me is taking a fish oil capsule everyday. In addition, I have a tablespoon of metamucil mixed in water 3-4 times a week. Go easy with that stuff, it can take a couple of days to work.

I was totally constipated for like 2 weeks and miserable and then I started with the fish oil and moderate use of the metamucil and I'm fine now.

·
Registered
437 Posts
I am totally with you about the zofran....its like a double edge sword....

Right now I am taking colace pills, prune juice, miralax, and DP got me some glycerin deposites that worked asap. I feel alot better and have even had a BM once a day or everyother day from this regiment.

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
I take the prenatals every other day or every 2 days because I could not poo for my life it was horrid I remember thinking I would rather be in regualr labor that laboring my poo!!!!!!! Also I got a cup or dunkin donuts coffee the other day to get the ball rolling that helpped a lot! Ohh and my prenatals have a "stool softener" in them ummmmm... I hadn't noticed!!!!!!

·
Registered
5,520 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by mamatolevi View Post
Do the enema. it's really not a big deal. It will solve most of the problem.
:

I had the same issue. Fiber was hard to get down because the only thing that appealed to me was potatoes, rice, and crackers.
There's also an *amazing* recipe for date bars in an earlier thread about constipation in this DDC!

·
Registered
216 Posts
I had the same issue last Saturday. I hadn't went in almost a week and it took me over 2 hours to finally get a tiny bit out. I used an enema, liquid glycerin, gylcerin suppositories and magnesium citrate. After I finally passed the really hard part about 4 hours later I completely emptied (sorry tmi) and have been ok since *knock on wood* I have refused to take the zofran since!

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
If you can't get fiber down, try benefiber deluted in water. That has helped me a lot. Plus exercise and moving around.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Half a bag of dried fruit (cherries & berries) did the trick for me overnight last night. That's one way I can tell how much pregnancy has slowed my digestion--I used to get gas/etc from eating dried fruit within hours, but it took more than 12 to produce, er, results this last time.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well I ate 16 prunes last night, along with 8 metamucil crackers. I managed to get a tiny little bit out, but this isn't looking good. I guess I'll try the enema this weekend.
:

·
Registered
750 Posts
I cannot imagine, I go every day (only once and a little bit) and I am miserable.

What helped yesterday was a bowl of soup with about half a cup of psyllium buds in it and about two litres of warm water a few hours later.

·
Registered
5,305 Posts
I take Food Source prenatal vitamins, and they have enzymes and probiotics (as well as food-grown nutrients), and I've noticed I am not near as constipated this time around as I was with my son.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.