Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's fun for an unschooling fam in the SouthWest US this November?
Hi! I'm starting to plan a 2 or 3 week trip to the South West ( I know I want to hit Toas, NM and the rest is wide open)! My dd will be 4.5. Does anyone have any must see spots? Great campgrounds to stay a while in? Awesome natural hotspring info? Fun, educational-ish attractions, especially those supportive of the local indigenous peoples?

I'd love any tips because none of us have ever seen this region.

Thanks in advance for any tidbits!!!

·
Registered
456 Posts
Hi... I live in Tucson and have traveled around the SW for many years. I don't know if I can direct you to the best campgrounds (I mostly stayed in hostels), but I can give you the haps on different areas of different states.

Northern AZ/Southern Utah: One awesome central spot is Kanab Utah (a small town on the border) From there you can hit Zion NP, Brice NP, North Rim of GC (which is better than the south rim IMO) and several other really nice natural things to see in the immediate area. The hostel there is very cool and I think has family rooms.

Arizona: November is a perfect time to visit southern AZ (Northern AZ WILL be cold and may have snow). Around Tucson there is the Saguaro NM, Organ Pipe NM, day trips to Mexico, Museums in Tucson, sometimes tribal events and as you travel North there are other monuments and beautiful mountains to hike in. Sedona is a key 'must see' spot (it is really Northern AZ) but around that time of year you may even catch the leaves changing colors. Lots of nice scenery up to the south rim and of coarse Flagstaff is a super cool little ($$$) town on the way.

Mesa Verde CO: North of Toas there is a NP called Mesa Verde in Colorado. There are tons of pueble ruins to visit and lots of indiginous talks by park rangers. So many places to see there you need a few days to see it all. A nice little trip from Toas and if you continue NOrthwest you can go to up to mid-state Utah.

Utah: Up in Utah you can visit Moab and Arches NP/ Dinousor NM/ Canyonlands NP and so much more to see. Utah is by far the most diverse and most beautiful state in the west. YOu will be hard pressed to find any places to camp except in the actual NP.

That is all I have time for... PM me ifyou want.
Nancy

·
Registered
863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
THANK YOU!!!

I'm going to print your awesome info out to show my husband.

Hostels with family rooms is such a great idea--gonna try and research that more, too.

Anybody else know what up with the SW in November?

·
Registered
780 Posts
Another great area is the Gila Wilderness outside of Silver City, NM. There are hotsprings, some to hike to and some just off the road. It's about 4 hours from Tucson. We just camped there last week and it was awesome. There are some great camp spots I can tell you how to get to, PM me for more info. Maybe a little chilly in Nov. but not too bad if your prepared.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.