Mothering Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's driving me bananas. Dd will just get into these modes of whining for everything. It's the tone of voice that gets me, not what she's asking for (which is usually fine). I've been just trying to ask her to use her "normal voice" which sometimes helps, or phrasing the question/request in a way I'd like to hear it, and she'll almost always repeat it in the same tone as I said it.... but none of this seems to be stopping the whining in the first place. When it happens once or twice, no biggie. But when it goes on and on and on, it's all I can do to stay patient! Sometimes I can attribute it to fatigue or hunger, but the truth is, often times I can't. Any suggestions or thoughts? Is this normal 21-month stuff? BTW, dd is extremely verbal -- no problems with communicating complex thoughts in full sentences or short paragraphs.

·
Registered
322 Posts
No one has taken me to task yet so I'll post this again (I've posted this 2 or 3 times lately). Whining is generally a sign of tiredness. I don't have any btdt experience because my dd has never really whined (big nap everyday and sleeps soundly all night).

The dd of my good friend is a serious whiner (yes, I believe this little girl lacks enough good sleep and she can speak clearly in paragraphs so it's not a communication issue). My friend's approach has been to say, "please use your nice voice". The daughter then repeats her request using a nicer tone. I don't know what my approach would be but it works for them.

·
Registered
7,270 Posts
I HATE whining more than anything (having to do with kids) in the world. I used to babysit for this girl who did it because her parent's always gave it to whatever she was whining about. I didn't, so she stopped whining pretty soon after I started to babysit.

If she's not doing it to pester you after asking once in a normal tone, I'd say things like "I don't understand you when you talk like that" or simply, "I can't understand you".

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.