Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello

My 4 month old DS is really fussing at least half the time at the breast. The problem is that I don't know why he is fussing. I keep going in circles. At first I thought he was getting too much foremilk and not enough hindmilk, so I tried block feeding a couple hours each side. It worked for a day, then he returned to being fussy.

Then I thought I had an overactive letdown since he choked often, so I tried lying down on my back and putting him directly over me to drink. That too worked for a only a day.

Then I though he was teething since he kept putting his hand in his mouth and drooled a lot and often seemed like he was in pain, so I gave him a cold washcloth for that. Same thing there, it worked for just a short time. Now he doesn't seem to be teething/drooling as much as before anyway.

Then I worried he was fussing because I didn't have milk, but when I squeezed my nipple, milk still flowed out. So then I thought maybe he was latched on improperly as shown on Jack Newman's website. But no matter how hard I try, I can't seem to get DS drinking the way the video shows. However, DS has, since he was born, always had lots and lots of pee and poopy diapers, so I always assumed he was doing okay. His weight gain was good since he was born. Just this fourth month, past 2 or 3 weeks or so, I haven't weighed him yet. Although several days ago, when I looked at him, he did look like he was a tad bit skinnier. For sure he hasn't been drinking as much as before.

Oh I am also avoiding dairy, and whatever may seem to contain even small amounts of dairy. I also stay away from shrimp and pasta since all of these I don't tolerate myself.

Anyway, this current situation has been going on perhaps about 2 or so weeks. It has gotten to the point that as soon as he is in cradle position at the breast, he arches his back, turns red, and gets downright angry.

And sometimes, just out of the blue, he will let out the most sad sounding cry. Sometimes he also makes this cry upon waking up from a nap. He never made this kind of cry before. At all other times, he seems happy/normal, although he is somewhat more fussier than usual.

Does anyone have any idea what may be the problem? I was hoping to breastfeed him for as long as possible, minimum 2 years if I can.

TIA for any help/advice you have!

· Registered
3,127 Posts
It sounds like it could be reflux, but I would think it would normally present itself before 4 months....

I hope you get something figured out soon!

· Registered
223 Posts
is thrush a possibility? that all sounds like my dd ra week or so before her mouth broke out in white spots that i couldn't wipe off. but again, it was earlier than 4 months...

good luck

· Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for your ideas, they were very helpful as I hadn't thought of either as being a likely cause. So I looked up reflux and as I read the symptoms, it DID sound exactly like reflux! So I started making a lot more effort to burp him and to hold him upright 30 min after feeding and that helped a lot. I also started eating a lot of sauerkraut and tsukemono for probiotics and really restricting my sugar intake because yes, he did have a white tongue, and as a result the white started fading! I also worked at the same time on cutting soy and nuts out of my diet and I think that also possibly helped a lot too. So thanks, he is doing much better now!

· Registered
3,612 Posts
oh awesome! it sounds like you've found some things that really work for you! that is such a good feeling.

update us and let us know if it keeps going well

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.