Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello fellow mamas... I am so glad that I found this forum as I am new to allergies and need some help!

My baby is now 3.5 months old and has food allergies. He's had cradle cap (head and eyebrows) since he was a few days old, diaper rashes early on despite very frequent changes, and diarrhea since he was about 6 weeks old (very frequent, mucousy, abundant, smelly stools). He is now exclusively breastfed but was supplemented between day 5 and about 3 weeks old with Good Start (cow's milk based).

Our family doc referred us to a pediatrician GI who told me to eliminate dairy from my diet for a week, and I also eliminated eggs at the same time. On our follow-up appointment there was no improvement and the ped said that since our baby is happy and his symptoms are mild, I should keep eating everything as it's more important for me to have a balanced diet and have milk. I asked if this would not damage his immune or digestive system, and was told it wouldn't.

I followed this advice for a while (reintroducing dairy for a short while, and still eliminating eggs) but it really breaks my heart to see my baby with this constant diarrhea, even if he is indeed happy and easygoing. And the more I read about the topic the more it seems that I should definitely avoid eating allergens (and therefore I should find out what they are, reuqesting our family doc to send us to another ped) if I want him to become less allergic in the long run (and get rid of this diarrhea now).

I have been on a gluten-free, dairy-free, egg-free, soy-free, nut-free, corn-free diet for over a week and while I would says there is some improvement, it's definitely slow and not very convincing.

Another concern is that I seem to be eating much of the same things that I consider safe (rice, potatoes, avocados, chicken, lamb, pears, apples, cantaloupes, etc.). I didn't eat meat at all when pregnant (and the 10 years before) so I ate a lot of eggs and diary... Should I be concerned about our baby becoming sensitized and allergic to the staples of my elimination diets?

What do you think? What tests would you do (skin, blood?), and when? What diet would you follow?

Thanks for reading this long post!

·
Premium Member
4,451 Posts
If you're seeing some improvement with the current foods you've eliminated, I'd assume something you're still eating is also causing problems, and/or you have hidden ingredients somewhere (like in supplements you might be taking, for example). On the list of foods you mention eating, potatoes and apples would be my picks for most likely to cause reactions, but it could be any food.

Also, dairy and gluten can take several weeks to clear out of your system, so you might continue to see improvements - a week isn't very long to be off of those two.

·
Registered
999 Posts
I would keep going on the diet as long as you can, it really will take a bit for things to clear up so you can be sure.

Another thing I did with my son was apply allergens directly to the skin on his back.
Took about 1 minute for a big welt to form around the tiny spot of raw egg I put there, so that answered that question for me really fast. Of course, not all allergens are going to be that obvious. With your DS being so young, you may not get much out of seeing an allergist at this point.

I assume you have gone through and addressed any environmental allergens?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your replies mamas! I will try keeping the same diet for a while longer to see if there is clearer improvement or if I can identify a pattern - for now his reactions seem to be random.

Quote:

Originally Posted by balancedmama View Post
With your DS being so young, you may not get much out of seeing an allergist at this point.
Why not? I really don't know much about allergies...

Quote:

Originally Posted by balancedmama View Post
I assume you have gone through and addressed any environmental allergens?
No, none of the docs we saw ever mentioned anything else than food allergies. Could you explain?

Also, should I be concerned about him becoming allergic to the foods that I eat a lot of?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.