Mothering Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the people who are not currently on Facebook: There are now 90 million Facebook members worldwide, and the site was only started 4 years ago. Facebook is very popular among the younger crowd. These people will have kids someday, if not already, and they need to be educated. Anyone can join, it's really simple, and there are a LOT of people on there.

Once you join, you can join a group. There are two in particular that I would like to advertise:

Stop Routine Infant Circumcision!

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=2209115729

This currently has only 1,490 members.

Also:
2 Million people against Female Circumcision{FGM: Female Genital Mutilation

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=7878728044

This currently has 215,634 members.

Do you see the difference in support between the two groups?

Anyhow, there should be more members in both groups.

We need to reach as many people as possible. I think if people saw a video, they would be convinced immediately (hopefully).

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
I'm on. It's the coolest place ever, next to MDC of course. I already have a handful of Intactivist friends. PM me your name and I will add you, or vice-versa. They also have a bunch of cool Intactivist groups that really need your support. So LOG-IN and let's make a real presence there. FB is mainstream America and you can be as vocal as you want about your GI Activism and still feel as safe as a kitten.

Looking forward to getting to know you all better.

·
Registered
6,455 Posts
So I joined the first stop circumcision group. I don't want to join the other one on the same day because I don't want to overshadow the first group in case someone is skimming my profile page kind of fast.
If they see one reference to female circumcision they might assume the other one is about FGM as well. Maybe I'll join the other one tomorrow!

So what are specific links to other Facebook intactivist groups?

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
It's ironic, because MGM seems to be more prevalent than FGM, but I could be wrong? Anyway, I joined and I also sent invites to everyone I know on facebook!

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
I'm quite amazed at what's happening at Facebook. I just joined a few months ago and now have almost 400 "friends"--mostly people in the childbirth community. I posted the new NOCIRC video and several others posted it on their pages, too.

This kind of "viral" messaging is amazing. One midwife from the Boston area started discussing it with her group and now I'm looking for a contact there because a bunch of her friends look like potential activists. The MGM rate there is very high still.

If anyone knows of a Boston intactivist, please let me know via pm and I'll pass it along.

·
Registered
4,744 Posts
I'm not in Boston, but in the South Shore....
I'm interested why you think the rate around here is so high? It certainly isn't extremely low. It's hard to judge because I seem to know more parents who would tend to leave their sons intact.

Anyways, I'm in contact with the Boston NOCIRC coordinator and a few others in the area.

Jessica

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Thanks, Jessica. I'm going to pm you and get that contact. The reason I said it was high is from the comments that the Boston women put on the video at Facebook. Things like "I don't know anyone who has an intact boy", "they still do it even tho our ped doesn't recommend it", etc. Glad to hear if that is not indicative of the general culture.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.