Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My friend has been trying to get pregnant for a while. She has had 5 miscarriages and 1 successful preg. that ended with a healthy baby girl (Amy is now almost 2). A few months ago she had another miscarriage but just found out 8 weeks ago she is preg. All of her miscarriages have happened at 5 weeks, so the dr.'s are confident she'll carry this babe (plus all her hormone levels are where they should be and they never were with the preg.'s that she miscarried with).

My friend has been bleeding a little (she did with her dd's preg. too) so they had her come in for an ultrasound to find out why. My friend is severly allergic to latex. They did a vaginal ultrasound and the tech wore LATEX gloves!!! She didn't realize it right away, but as she was driving home (with her dd in the car) she felt dizzy and sick and had a sore throat. She called her husband when she got home and while she was talking to him she collapsed on the floor wheezing. Her dh found her unconscious on the floor (but breathing) and gave her her medication. Her poor dd saw the whole thing!!!

Obviously she wants a homebirth now. She is so freaked out about this happening again and maybe her baby dying because of it. She was thinking of a homebirth before but now NEEDS one. The problem is her dh- he says NO WAY.

What I need, mamas is help! Any and every link that talks about homebirths, midwives, facts, statistics, etc. Please, for my friends sake, help her gather all the info so she can be prepared to face her dh and know what she's talking about!

Thanks so much!

S.

Oh, and any Twin Cities, MN mamas who have any suggestions on midwives, that would be great too!

·
Registered
19,261 Posts
No advice.....just wanted to wish her luck. I hope everything ends well for her.

What hospital was she at? Didn't they ask her about allergies?

·
Registered
42,824 Posts

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
AngelBeeWhat hospital was she at? Didn't they ask her about allergies?[/QUOTE said:
Yes! And when she started going she went to every staff person (it's a small clinic) and told them about her allergies in person plus it's written in big bold letters on her chart!

alegna- thanks for the links! I will probably be getting a pm to you soon!

S.

·
Registered
3,460 Posts

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
love_homebirthing, thanks so much! The more the better! My friend will really appreciate this. I'm so proud of her for doing this. I know that she would be so much happier with a homebirth.

S.

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
Hi,

I am a big fan of HB. Planning my first birth this fall. Just thinking that if she does have a resistant DH, a Birthing Center run by mid-wives might be a good compromise. The one near me has MWs who can continute care at the nearby hospital if transport is necessary.

I would google "Minnesota birth center" to find one in your area. Just a thought. I do hope that it all works out well!

·
Registered
2,663 Posts
www.minnesotabirthnetwork.com

There is a list of almost every CPM or LM in the Twin Cities. She should definately interview a couple of them!! Please feel free to PM me if you or she has any questions about homebirth in the TC. I have given birth at home twice now, with Jeanne Bazille. I can PM you my phone number if anyone wants to talk!! What clinic was she at where they did that?

Sarah

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
I am also alergic to latex and my dh has to remind doctors every time about it. They just automatically go for the latex gloves. I had a hb with ds, but this time I am going to the hospital because I am having twins and I really worry about it. Even if she does have a hb, I would still go into the hospital and talk to them more about this & what would happen in an emergency. It could be deadly if she was in a bad car accident or something and they did surgery with all latex stuff. As far as convincing dh, I think taking him to an appointment with a mw is the best way to convince a reluctant hubby. The difference between going to a doctor and midwife is huge and he should realize this if he has gone to both. She will be able to talk to him about safety also, if that is his worry.

·
Registered
4,131 Posts
It is not her DH's place to say yes or no to the birth she wants and needs. It will not be till he's the one pushing that baby out.

Encourage her to put her foot down. This is a safety issue and her choice needs to be respected.

·
Registered
902 Posts
If dh is resistant he may need physical evidence so to speak rather than internet stuff, even though there are WONDERFUL resources on the web.
I'd start with trying to find a midwife in your area and have your friend, her dh, and the midwife have a good, long, heart to heart about all of the fears he has and of course all of the wonderful aspects of a home birth.
Sounds like she's got time on her side which is a good thing!
Hospitals are a scary place in general lol... but if you have a latex allergy... You have to really be on alert. For example, what if someone comes in to draw your blood at 3 in the morning and uses latex gloves or a latex torniquet? She will probably be sleeping and not even realize what's going on.
Not to mention latex residue on different equipment... I know lots of people have a latex allergy but really how safe can a hospital environment be? Not all of them have switched to vinyl gloves and all of that good stuff.
Good luck to your friend!!!!!

·
Registered
447 Posts
If she does end up at the hospital, could she make a big sign that says "No Latex" for the door and other places in the room. How scarey to have an allergic attack that severe while pregnant and alone with an older child. I know it is not stylish but she could also get a medic alert braclet or necklace to wear. Pharmacies should have info on how to get them.

I moved to MN a year ago and an mow pregnant and scoping out things on the birth front. What hospital did this happen at? I have also been given a recomendation for Jeanne Bazille from a friend who used her services for two births.

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
I agree with a PP that she should convince her husband to just consult with a highly recommended HBMW. The MW will probably give a list of references too so that DH can talk with those families (husbands esp).

Either that, or she's gonna have to tape a sign over her hooha saying "NO LATEX," and then when the baby is born, he/she will have to break through the sign, just like high school football players coming out of the tunnel and breaking through the banner the cheerleaders made. And that's just weird.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by chiro_kristin
Either that, or she's gonna have to tape a sign over her hooha saying "NO LATEX," and then when the baby is born, he/she will have to break through the sign, just like high school football players coming out of the tunnel and breaking through the banner the cheerleaders made. And that's just weird.
:

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by chiro_kristin

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
My friend wanted to me to post a thank you to everyone for their resources and their encouragement. She's being very insistent on the homebirth and her dh is starting to realize that that might be a good option. Her dh is a good guy and I know he's just super nervous about something going wrong with the birth.

I'm not sure where this whole latex thing happened (I keep forgetting to ask). I don't know if anyone saw in my first post that she didn't call 911, but she figured she'd be passed out by the time 911 arrived and she figured they'd be wearing latex gloves anyway! I just can't believe that latex is even allowed anywhere (hospitals, ambulances, etc) with all the latex allergies around. Oh, well.

I'm praying they make the right decision and I think with all your resources I think they will!!!

S.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts