Mothering Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We cosleep with ds and he LOVES to wake up and nurse frequently. Can someone just reassure me that eventually this will end?!! (I'm reacting in part to some books that say that I will have to intervene at some point). When did you little ones start sleeping longer stretches without seeking out the boob?

·
Registered
11,167 Posts
We nightweaned when ds was 2yo. It took about a week, and now he only wakes up once, but goes right back to sleep with a cuddle. He doesn't need to nurse anymore. I must say that life got much better once he was nightweaned, but I only recommend it if your little one is ready for it, and is at least 1 year old. We tried when ds was 18 months. He was clearly not ready, so we shelved it until 6 months later, when it went pretty smoothly.<br><br>
Before we nightweaned, he would sleep anywhere from 2-5 hours at a time, starting when he was about 1. Before then I don't really remember (see - I've already forgotten!), but it was probably every 2 hours or so.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Oceanbaby, I'm curious to know more! When you first tried nightweaning, what did you do, and how could you tell that your baby wasn't ready? And what did you do the second time around, when it worked?<br><br>
My ds is almost a year old, and my dh and I consider four hours of consecutive sleep a really refreshing interlude--more commonly, our baby is waking up to nurse every 2-3 hours or more frequently when he's teething or otherwise stressed.<br><br>
When he's a little bit older, I've been thinking about trying the 10-night nightweaning method suggested by Jay Gordon in his book Good Nights. We've tried suggestions from The No-Cry Sleep Solution, but it hasn't seemed to make that much of a difference--and we haven't been really disciplined about it, either, which may be why we didn't see much change.

·
Registered
315 Posts
I don't remember exactly when my son night-weaned. It was quite gradual sometime between 12-14 months. I still occasionally would nurse him at night. We transitioned to a sidecar crib at 10 months and moved the crib a foot or two away from our bed a few months later. Now he is in his own room and weaned totally at 17 months due to my current pregnancy.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts