Mothering Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to know if there is anything I need to do once Evan has weaned or do I just let the process happen naturaly. I am referring to my breasts. Will they just stop producing? Some women I know have wrapped themselves tightly. Am I supposed to be doing something that I don't know about? I am fairly comfortable. Not engorged and just a bit tender and full. I do not need to pump but I am aware of fullness.
Also, would hormones play a part in this? I am feeling weepy and PMSish ( just finished period this week though) and wndering if this is part of weaning
I don't know why no-one responded to my post from the other day. Please read it. I am having mixed feelings and could use a bit of support.
Thank you so much.

·
Registered
13,153 Posts
So you have just weaned.

Some of it depends on how quick the weaning process was. If you did it very gradually, there should not be much milk left and there wouldn't be any fullness.

No, "wrapping" the breasts would be a very bad idea. Could cause plugs or mastitis.

If you are just a little full, no worries. If you are uncomfortlabe, express a little milk to comfort. Just releiving discomfort, not to fully empty the breast is key. Otherwise your breasts will get the signal to make more milk.

Feeling weepy? Are you sad that you weaned?

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
If you feel comfortable with it, I suggest you might try nursing for a little longer. I think the "don't offer, don't refuse" advice is really meant for much older babies. Nursing a toddler is a totally natural and mutally beneficial thing. The World Health Organization recommends nursing for at least two years. Has anyone given you the link to kellymom's nursing past a year page?

Of course, if you are totally ready to be done nursing, then don't worry. Your milk will slowly dwindle until it's gone or nearly gone.

Responding to both posts at once here. :LOL

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.