Mothering Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry for the short notice. (We hope to print and present this petition Saturday 7/29/06.) I thought this had been posted here already. Please forgive me if it has but I didn't see it when I searched.

On July 21, 2006 a local (Cleveland, Ohio) nursing mother (who wishes to remain anonymous) was refused permission to nurse her baby before paying for her purchases at the Aeropostale store in Great Northern Mall (which is owned by Westfield Corp).

Westfield Corp. owns four Cleveland area malls in addition to the malls they own in twelve other states and three other countries (the UK, Australia and New Zealand).

A corporation of this size needs to have a clear, unambiguous stance on breastfeeding on their property. Westfield Corporation needs to educate themselves on the needs specific to the growing numbers of families who chose the healthy, government-endorsed option of breastfeeding their children and demonstrate this throughout their properties.

Please sign our on-line petition so this kind of treatment doesn't set a precident at Westfield properties.

TIA,
Lana

·
Registered
4,620 Posts
nak

signed and linked! though i misread the message part as being for a header to the link to your friends, not a blog post.
:

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
IIRC, Ohio recently (finally) added NIP protection laws?

from lll.org
SUMMARY OF ENACTED BREASTFEEDING LEGISLATION
OHIO
Ohio now has legislation addressing breastfeeding in public. The Governor of Ohio signed SB 41 into law on June 14, 2005, which shall take effect in 90 days (September 12, 2005).

Sec. 3781.55. A mother is entitled to breast-feed her baby in any location of a place of public accommodation wherein the mother otherwise is permitted.

"Place of public accommodation" has the same meaning as in section 4112.01 of the Revised Code.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by JessasMilkMama
IIRC, Ohio recently (finally) added NIP protection laws?

from lll.org
SUMMARY OF ENACTED BREASTFEEDING LEGISLATION
OHIO
Ohio now has legislation addressing breastfeeding in public. The Governor of Ohio signed SB 41 into law on June 14, 2005, which shall take effect in 90 days (September 12, 2005).

Sec. 3781.55. A mother is entitled to breast-feed her baby in any location of a place of public accommodation wherein the mother otherwise is permitted.

"Place of public accommodation" has the same meaning as in section 4112.01 of the Revised Code.
That's right . . . .but now we need to educate all the store managers and such that the law was passed. And that we WILL stand up for our rights!

Thanks to everyone for signing. Please feel free to pass the link on to any other groups you know that might be interested.

Thanks mamas!

·
Registered
2,993 Posts
There should be something in your letter to the company about how it is illegal to disallow a woman to nurse in your store, according to state law, and how appalling it is for Aeropostale to alow a store in their chain to break state law.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts