Mothering Forum banner

Web site name for baby boutique

• Petunia Pie

Votes: 13 39.4%
  • Silly Goosy

Votes: 3 9.1%
  • Polka Dot Baby Shop (keep the same name. I dont think it it soo similar)

Votes: 12 36.4%
  • None of the above (If you have an idea, please share)

Votes: 5 15.2%
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I need to make a final decision on my website name so I can move forward. If you have not read my other post, here's the deal: After much searching for a domain name, I came up with polkadotbabyshop.com. The site template is made (but we have not opened). Now I have come accross pokkadots.com I remember a while back after I chose the name, I think, someone mentioned the site. I didn't think much of it because it is spelled strangely and I was going to be selling mainly carriers and diapers. But now the concept for my site has changed into more of a unique baby boutique (carriers and diapers, but lots of other cute stuff too.) I came accross the Pokkadot site the other day again and realized our concepts are now similar. So maybe I should change the name again. I would just have to change the logo. But that means the dreaded name brainstorm all over again. I have come up with sillygoosy.com and petuniapie.com Do you like either of those? Or do you think pokkadots and polkadotbabyshop are different enough?<br><br>
If you don't like either of those (or even if you do) and you have a name idea, please share. Now, so you have an idea of what I am naming, it will be a unique baby boutique: diapers, slings, natural bath and body, designer diaper bags, toys, gifts, etc. I want a unique name so I don't run into this problem again. So please choose an option, and if you have an idea, please share. Thanks!!

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Okay, I'm running off the top of my head here so forgive me...I like names with a little European flavor...only problem is, people might have trouble with the pronunciation, something like cirque de bebe (baby circus) bebe joyeux (joyous baby) or cirque de joie (circus joy) or maybe even something like bambino boutique. Hmm.....

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the ideas. I like the idea of a euro name. There's the spelling thing, though, and many are taken by european sites. For some reason I am not crazy about bambino names. I tsems popular, as I have had several similar suggestions, but it is just not quite my style.<br><br>
It is interesting to see the different results. On this site, Petunia Pie is popular. I really like that name. On another forum, most people said just to keep my name as is. Someone mentioned that Petunia Pie is too similar to Petunia Pickle Bottom diaper bags. That could be a problem since I will be selling other designer diaper bags : (

·
Premium Member
2,420 Posts
I went for the petunia pie name. It sounds cute. To me, sillygoosy should be spelled goosie or goosey to look right...don't really know if any of those are 'correct' though.<br><br>
I really don't know enough of the names of the stores out there to suggest more names, probably anything I'd suggest either exists or the domain is taken anyhow. It's tough finding something that 'fits', isn't it?<br><br>
Good luck!

·
Premium Member
15,102 Posts
<div style="margin:20px;margin-top:5px;">
<div class="smallfont" style="margin-bottom:2px;">Quote:</div>
<table border="0" cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0" width="99%"><tr><td class="alt2" style="border:1px inset;">
<div>Originally Posted by <strong>avasmom415</strong></div>
<div style="font-style:italic;">Someone mentioned that Petunia Pie is too similar to Petunia Pickle Bottom diaper bags. That could be a problem since I will be selling other designer diaper bags : (</div>
</td>
</tr></table></div>
I think if you named your store (which I am assuming will be selling a variety of things) Petunia Pie, but then named and 'branded' your diaper bags with a name without Petunia in it (like different line names for different products, styles, etc.) it would be OK. I don't know, maybe for the bags, like 'Sweet Pea Pies' or 'Daylily Pies' ... just throwing names out there...<br>
Simply containing the one word 'Retunia' doesn't make your store's name confusingly similar, unless all you were making and selling was designer bags. And even then, Petunia Pie and Petunia Pickle Bottom conjure up very different imagery, and are quite different names.

·
Registered
332 Posts
How about polka dot baby spot?

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
I was in about the exact same spot you are in- I had bought my domain, had business cards and labels on my stuff when I discovered Junebug Baby! I was crushed because i really wanted somthing unique. I went all over the map about it and was about to choose a different name and finally decided I was really attched to my name and so I emailed Amanda and said, Hey! I'm another Junebug.. is that ok with you? She was great about it and we've had no problems (to my knowledge).<br><br>
The thing is, we are selling totally different things, so that works to our advantage. that might be the only caveat i can think of in your case, but i think that if you are into it and attached- keep it.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm not making diaper bags (or anything for that matter). I wish I were so crafty, but no, I will be selling other brands of designer diaper bags and other brands of everything I carry. So thank goodness I don't need to come up with product names : )

1 - 10 of 10 Posts