Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ds just turned 3. I'm new at this.... I'm surprised at how well he can "reason" and his involved explanations of what's happening. I'm also surprised at how well he can ummmm... demand and assert his opinion. I never noticed "terrible two's", but this would be close! But then he can be so helpful - to the point of insisting he do it all himself. And then he can yell at me to leave him alone and that he hates me. (That's just momentary - I'm still "preferred" to dh) He's super social - even approaches adults and shakes their hands and talks with them. And of course he loves playing with kids his age.

I'm NOT saying I think ds is advanced or anything (I'm not that kind of parent!) - but I've never paid attn to kids before - Where does he fit in? Is his "attitude" normal for this age? Is his sweetness to come and go or can I hope that's just him? I know that they vary, but - tell me what a typical 3yo should be like!

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
My ds is also just three (Sept 6) and he's very similar to what you're describing. I've been a little bit nervous, becuase I thought two was supposed to be the hard age and he's becoming much more difficult now. He's also begun reasoning and arguing, wailing when he doesn't get what he wants or saying "I don't like you, mommy", then the next moment climbing up on a chair asking to help with everything I'm doing, then the next moment insiting he can do it himself.

I went out for coffee with a group of women who mostly have older children and they all just sort of nodded and shrugged as if to say "yep, welcome to three" when I was telling them how bewildered I was.

·
Registered
843 Posts
My daughter is an excellent negotiator. We now have to negotiate EVERYTHING! How many squirts of soap - "no but Sylvie (her imaginary friend) needs a squirt too" how many friends (her dolls) to bring in the car "but XX doll will be lonely" and so on and so forth. It's amazing. My DP is an excellent debater as well (which sucks when we're in an argument) - I always thought she got it from him but maybe it's just the age!

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
zmom - I just saw your post - that's so funny! Ds just tonight insisted I needed more cheese on my taco and he had to put it there! And if dh & I even raise our voices to ea other, ds is quick to tell one of us to be nice to the other! Life is a changin'!

·
Registered
374 Posts
I too, thought I skated by without having to experience the Terrible Twos. Then my ds turned 3 and OMG! Happy and easy one minute, raging and near hysterical the next. Everything is a negotiation. Suddenly there are demands, my head is spinning. But he is so sweet and so interesting to be around at the same time!

It must be the age! Oh, please let it be the age!
:
:
:

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by jackaroosmom View Post
I too, thought I skated by without having to experience the Terrible Twos. Then my ds turned 3 and OMG! Happy and easy one minute, raging and near hysterical the next. Everything is a negotiation. Suddenly there are demands, my head is spinning. But he is so sweet and so interesting to be around at the same time!

It must be the age! Oh, please let it be the age!
:
:
:
It's totally the age. Every three year old I know acts like a cocky third-year law student with multiple personality disorder and manic depression. (Please no one be offended, it was meant to be descriptive.)

Of course, I got pregnant right before my son turned three, but for those of you who are still able to partake, I suggest stocking up on your favorite adult beverage for after the little tyrants are in bed.
:

(By the way, it gets better as they get further into three, and they are so clever, creative and wonderful most of the time -- it's just those "terrible 3s" moments that get overwhelming. I'm only four months into three and I've seen huge improvements. There is hope!)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.