Mothering Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a pouch sling a few months ago and wore ds#1 a few times...he however has always hated slings and the pouch was no exception. well I've finally had a chance to try it out on ds#2 and he absolutely HATES it. he was fine at first and then he started wiggling around and fussing and then all out screaming/crying. I thought he was hungry and after a brief scuffle decided against nursing in the sling (wasn't working anyways) so I took him out but he wasn't interested. he was happy just being out of the sling.

I plan on putting him in it again tonight and a few times tomorrow but I REALLY hope he gets to like it b/cuz Its the second sling i've bought and he already hates the other one (ring sling) i've worn him in it a few times already.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
are they miserable all the time or do they just seem to dislike your sling?

maybe they hate it b/c they are so secure in your family they don't feel they need it and they are the kinds of people who hate to be bound up. what's wrong with that?

sell it on ebay and be happy while enjoying your baby in new ways.

·
Registered
703 Posts
I'd try more than one carrying position. My son never really cared for the cradle position, so unless I was nursing him I carried him upright.

Some kids do not like the "restraint" of a sling. But I wouldn't give up so easily. If they're like my kids a stroller just won't do most of the time and I sure as heck don't want to have to carry them all the time.

·
Registered
820 Posts
yep, try another position. my dd never liked the cradle carry, and LOVED kangaroo & tum2tum. she liked being able be upright, and to see.

or just try it again at a later time... don't stress it. my second dd went through a stage where she didn't want to be in the sling at all- so I let it go. Now she LOVES being worn, and asks for it.

it may also help for you guys to take a good long walk with him in the sling... that helps us get settled in sometimes.

i hope you guys are able to get in a good groove with the sling!

·
Registered
3,146 Posts
It too us a while to find carries that DS liked. He likes to be facing forward with his legs crossed in the pouch, and likes the hip carry. I actually love my unadjustable pouch most out of the 5 (talk about wasted money!) that we tried. We have the pouch and a Sutemi, because DS just wants to be upright.

·
Registered
837 Posts
I would try a few different carries...
Evan HATES to be in any type of cradle carry, but once I put him in our wrap facing outwards - he was the happiest kid in the world...He can think that he's independent and he gets to see the world, but he's still nice and close to me and secure in his wrap...

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
If you're already doing this, ignore me.

When you're ready to try out the sling again, be ready to get OUT. Heck, stand outside on the soft grass and put him in the sling, so you're already out! Get babe in the sling, and start moving. Brisk walk, pointing out everything to keep his mind off the sling. Move move move.

Don't go too far lest he still hate it, of course.

If he doesn't like it, try again the next day. Always making sure baby is rested and fed and otherwise happy, of course.

Just keep trying, don't give up until it's extremely obvious. And if it's extremely obvious, sell it and try something else...mei tai comes to mind...

·
Registered
5,264 Posts
I'm only partially kidding when I say that my babies *must* like the sling. With 4 boys and hsing, I must babywear.

Anyway, hi jami! If you are determined to babywearing, try wearing the sling totally loosely around you both, and every day tighten it a bit. Gradually it will be snug enough for one-handed BWing, and then 2. When he's super-drowsy, that's another good time to tuck him in and take a walk. Are his feet tucked all the way up into the pouch? Try it both ways, maybe...

Good luck! In the end, if it's not a major priority for you, sell the sling and move on

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
well today i decided to try it after nursing and changing him...i took his clothes off (we have just a window ac) and put him in it and he cried. and wiggled and fussed. and then he went to sleep. and I wore him for an hour and a half.

I did end up modifying the cradle hold so he was basically sitting up. and I walked around a lot.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
baby cry? Why?

I think the sling thing is a motion thing, definitely, but the motion can be as simple as bending your knees, while you wiggle baby in it. When you get more comfortable with it, they will too.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.