Mothering Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
okay, my diapers (fb) stink! i am pg and they are about to make me sick - i have some wool/fitteds coming, but i am feeling discouraged. i am using sposies more lately...please someone tell me why i started this in the first place!!! tell me its worth it to find a system that works for me!!!

· Registered
5,777 Posts
Have you tried stripping them? Or using Sportwash? I had horrible trouble with fleece too - I had one Happy Hiney that smelled so bad and I couldnt get the stink out no matter how much I washed it. The only thing that got it out was Sportwash.

Thats mainly why we dont use fleece any more - it gets awful with just a little bit of build up.

Hoping the fitteds and wool work great for you!

· Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
they are practically brand new - only been washed a handful of times, so i don't know why they would need stripped. maybe it is just characteristic of the fleece...

who knows. i just wish 1) they didn't stink and 2) they didn't make my dd sweat. maybe all you wool lovers are onto something!

i've got a cover coming and a few fitteds - we'll see if it makes a difference. i have a sneaking suspension cloth is going to stink no matter what, but we will see...

· Registered
2,237 Posts
we're battling the same thing right now too (any pockets or microfleece topped soakers). Sensiclean doesn't help us, for us it causes build up and repelling.
I've even tried a little squirt of dawn to help degrease, but no luck. I've tried different detergents, calgon water softener, etc. and still battling the stinky microfleece.

· Registered
5,348 Posts
The things I think are most important are 1-washing everyday, every other at worse. 2-using a natural detergent like biokleen powder(which doesn't dud like crazy. And finding out what kind of water you have. If you have hard water which it seems alot of people do, do a cold prerinse with plenty of baking soda.

But on the other hand if you are worried about stink I don't know how you tolerate sposies! :LOL those stink so bad to me!

· Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by lnitti
we're battling the same thing right now too (any pockets or microfleece topped soakers). Sensiclean doesn't help us, for us it causes build up and repelling.
I've even tried a little squirt of dawn to help degrease, but no luck. I've tried different detergents, calgon water softener, etc. and still battling the stinky microfleece.
do your other dipes stink also, or just these type? these are the only kind of have as of now, and i am curious if i should anticipate the same problem with all cloth diapers. our micro-terry inserts stink also - do yours?
does micro-terry hold smells more than hemp? - i'll make this question a new thread...

· Registered
1,449 Posts
If you have stink you have a problem. Cloth diapers should not "stink". What is your wash routine? Micro-fiber IMO can get the worst stink/buildup. But it doesn't have to be that way. The only diapers that ever knock my socks are are the morning diapers. But even those are that bad. Normal changes shouldn't be bad. Do they stink after you wash them before you use them? They never should...

· Registered
2,237 Posts
it's just the microfleece that smells after the wash. our hemp is fine and the microfiber is fine. even the suedecloth is fine. We do have moderately hard water too.

our morning hemp stinks bad, but that's because they've been peed on all night :LOL

· Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
my wash routine is 1) cold rinse 2) hot wash 3) cold rinse 4) extra cold rinse.

i will try putting baking soda in with the first rinse.

in my case it is not a HORRIBLE smell, only a faint one. but only like 2 of the dipes have been pooed on, and i can definitely tell a difference between those and the others. my other smell is in the inserts - a urine smell that just doesn't seem to go away! but, the tto does help...hopefully the baking soda will, too...

lisa - my cloth DEFINITELTY stinks worse than sposies! i guess that means something is wrong?? off i go to try and fix it...

oh, and i always wash every day - i only have 6 dipes and am just cd'ing part time until i get my stash built up.

· Registered
5,348 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by mama2gracie
my wash routine is 1) cold rinse 2) hot wash 3) cold rinse 4) extra cold rinse.

i will try putting baking soda in with the first rinse.

in my case it is not a HORRIBLE smell, only a faint one. but only like 2 of the dipes have been pooed on, and i can definitely tell a difference between those and the others. my other smell is in the inserts - a urine smell that just doesn't seem to go away! but, the tto does help...hopefully the baking soda will, too...

lisa - my cloth DEFINITELTY stinks worse than sposies! i guess that means something is wrong?? off i go to try and fix it...

oh, and i always wash every day - i only have 6 dipes and am just cd'ing part time until i get my stash built up.
I'm sure it does, I was just kidding :LOL. Poor mama, I hope you fix your stinkies!! I think the baking soda should help, I would do a cold soak with it for a nice long while.

· Registered
1,621 Posts
Is your water hard or soft?
I have soft water and once I sold the hemp I just don't have stink anymore.
Sometimes I remember to add some baking soda, I often add vinegar (via the Downy ball) to the middle wash. I use any detergent. Once in a while I remember to put some TTO in the water before the first wash...

I do a short cold wash, followed by a long hot wash, followed by a short hot wash. The detergent, TTO and/or baking soda go in the first cold wash, the vinegar in the 1st hot wash, the last is additive free. I do have plenty of fleece; lots of PUL pockets and even a couple of my cotton pockets are fleece inners. I also use micro inserts.

No stink, no stain... I know you can find the right combo for you. Even my DD's inserts come very clean. (5 yr old overnight pee
)

· Registered
105 Posts
The things that contribute to stink:

1. The use of too little detergent - this can be the result of hard water as it can bind the detergent.
2. The use of too much detergent - which ends up staying in he fibers and can harbor "stink" causing things.
3. Not a good enough rinse - low water.
4. The main wash not being hot enough - check your water heater.
5. Sheerly too much dirty water in your wash - do you dunk, scrape or diaper duck the solids off your diapers before they go in the machine? If you don't you might consider doing it.
6. Do you do a cold prewash before your main wash? This can help a great deal.

-E.

· Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by erics
The things that contribute to stink:

1. The use of too little detergent - this can be the result of hard water as it can bind the detergent.
2. The use of too much detergent - which ends up staying in he fibers and can harbor "stink" causing things.
3. Not a good enough rinse - low water.
4. The main wash not being hot enough - check your water heater.
5. Sheerly too much dirty water in your wash - do you dunk, scrape or diaper duck the solids off your diapers before they go in the machine? If you don't you might consider doing it.
6. Do you do a cold prewash before your main wash? This can help a great deal.

-E.
i could be using too little detergent - this area is known for HARD water, and i keep using just a tiny bit of detergent because that's what everyone said to do -especially when i had a stink problem. thanks!!

· Registered
2,133 Posts
I second the "don't use too little detergent" - you shouldn't use a whole full scoop, but sometimes, you have to up the amount you're using.

Once, when my dd was on antibiotics, the meds cause QUITE the stinky diaper. And that one diaper (that dh scraped and rinsed btw) stunk up my entire load. I could smell those suckers across the room. Heck, even the washer smelled afterwards. Anyway, I hoped that re-washing would help. Nope. What did take the stink out was baking soda in the wash with detergent, then vinegar in the rinse (where you'd add fabric softner.) They smelled very "neutral" after that.

· Registered
105 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by mama2gracie
i could be using too little detergent - this area is known for HARD water, and i keep using just a tiny bit of detergent because that's what everyone said to do -especially when i had a stink problem. thanks!!

I learned this from a German washing machine manual of all places
Might up it a little, so like instead of using 1/4 of the recomended amount use 1/2 and ratchet up or down see how that goes...

· Registered
1,837 Posts
We used to use FB with hemp inside and the smell was just HORRIBLE. I couldn't stand it anymore so we sold them all and went with hemp/OC fitteds and wool covers. I always thought it was the hemp, but now I don't know cause we NEVER have that smell with our current system.

· Registered
391 Posts
Are you putting the FB in the same pail as the inserts? That's guaranteed to get stink. I always had to separate into different bags the pockets and the inserts. I've also found that synthetics are MUCH harder to keep from stinking. I ended up selling all of mine off because of it.

Good luck!

· Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by newmommy0204
Are you putting the FB in the same pail as the inserts? That's guaranteed to get stink. I always had to separate into different bags the pockets and the inserts. I've also found that synthetics are MUCH harder to keep from stinking. I ended up selling all of mine off because of it.

Good luck!

i am storing them together - someone else told me i should store them separately, but i only have one diaper pail as of now. i really wanted this to be as simple as possible...i might have to try that, though. thanks!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.