Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! I am happily nursing my youngest dd Faith. She will be 1 yr on July 18th (man, how time flies) - anyway, I fully intend on nursing her for as long as she wants. I am curious as to how they nurse after 1 yr. I will tell you her eating/bfing schedule now so you get an idea of our situation.

She bfs about 2-3 x's at nite, the last being around 8 am. I have started her on solids/table foods but she doesn't always have a sit-down meal. Around 10 am I will either bf her or she has some yogurt, fruit, cereal, cheese, etc... Sometimes both. Around noon I bf while lying down (getting ready for nap). She usually nurses for quite awhile unless she is very tired.
After nap, she will usually bf around 3-4. I usually give her a small snack afterwards of something solid. Suppertime is around 5-6 pm and she usually eats what we are eating. Then I bf her around 7-8 pm and again at 9-10 (depending on when bedtime is, I have always nursed her b4 bed).

Does this seem fine or should I give her more set meals and mealtimes for solids like breakfast, lunch and supper. I guess since breastmilk is still nutricious and good for them, I think this is ok. Any thoughts, ideas?? She certainly doesn't seem to be starving, lol.

Thanks,

·
Registered
136 Posts
I'm nursing my three year old once every couple days if he isn't going through any changes, once or twice if he is... what I remember about a year, was that it was certainly a sleep thing- going to sleep and waking up (several times during the night until night weaned around 2 years). They will lead the way. I think Ben was about 18 months when we began to compromise with one another about eatting something else instead, or waiting until we got home.

Now that he's got a little brother, we're always discussing it!

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Hmmm. At one year, my son bf at least every 2 hours during the day, and every 2-3 at night (more when he was teething). He picked at solids here and there, and "snacked" a lot. He slowed down a little bit around 16 months, and increased his solids gradually from there, through to almost 2 years old when he started to "really" eat one big meal a day, and several smaller ones. He went through several spurts between one and two where he'd want to nurse almost constantly. Often this seemed to be associated with teething, other times not. One thing that helped me feel better about the solids was to have a plate of nibbles that I could leave out for him as he toddled around. I never knew when he would be hungry, so I would put finger foods like veggies out with dips like hummus, and fruits, so he could eat when he decided to take a break from his busy schedule. :LOL

My approach was, and is, not to worry about amount of nursing vs. amount of solids. It seems pretty common for bf 12 month olds to not eat a lot of solids yet and still take most of their nourishment from mama. Sounds like you're doing great!

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
It sounds as if things are going wonderfully! The best way I can sum up the 2nd year, so far (DD is 19mos), is to say that it is a rollercoaster. First of all, get ready for nursing marathons. Myself, and several other moms I know, felt as though the first few months 12+ were just as difficult as the first few after birth - emotionally, as well as physically. Please don't get down if you have similar experiences because it does get better. Though, your 12-mo. old is already nursing ever 2 hours. As he becomes more mobile and able to explore his world, you may find that he decreases in nursings.

As far as food goes, you'll find that it is sporadic. Some days they'll eat as much as a horse and other days as much as a bird. Don't let it stress you out. Oh, and the weight gain usually levels off, so don't let their lack of food and lack of weight gain worry you if your child is energetic, healthy & happy. I offer food often, whether or not it's at the table.

I've experienced many nursing marathons, lasting days, when teething is real bad. The increase in nursing requests is usually my first sign. And, a tooth may not pop out for a couple of weeks following. As you can see, all the changes & developments can leave you very confused. Just go with it!

·
Registered
22 Posts
My ds is 18 months and he still eats very little in the way of solids. There will be a random day here or there where he will eat more, growth spurts I guess. But he is just as big a nurser as ever. I found scheduling meals etc. pointless because he does eat so little and he likes to be mobile so i do the healthy snack thing and make it available throughout the day.

Frequency-wise he still nurses about every 2 hours round the clock, that's just a rounded out number, he really is free to nurse whenever so it's not scheduled sessions. Sometimes he just takes a quick 2 minute refresher then he's off again.

I always have people who didn't nurse their children suggest more scheduled mealtimes to get him to eat more
, but believe me I tried when he was one and it didn't work. So ever since I just go with the flow.

Like you said, if she is growing healthy she's doing fine.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.