Mothering Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
"Please vaccinate your kids so other moms like me don't have to watch their baby die"

Long time lurker on this forum, first time poster. This was front page on Reddit last night, I wanted to share.

https://iy.reddit.com/r/TwoXChromos...please_please_please_god_vaccinate_your_kids/

Basically she says her 8 month old daughter died of measles encephalopathy contracted from an anti-vax neighbor kid whose mom was babysitting for her.

It's locked now but I find it SO suspicious. Her word choices sound distinctly American - "in the hospital," not "in hospital" etc...we all know how many American children died of measles 3 years ago.

Also not being exactly sure how many days she was sick, it seems like that detail might stick in a mother's head. I don't know, just the whole story sounds cliched and contrived to me.

I guess I have been living in a bit of a bubble because even though I know my choices are in the minority, I didn't realize the extent of the animosity and disdain from the pro-vax crowd. It's just depressing how many of them want our kids taken away from us for not blindly following everything the docs and pharma say.

·
Registered
24,720 Posts
That is what is known as anecdotal evidence. Most vaccine proponents ignore anecdotal evidence unless it supports their cause.

And if this was in the US, no child has DIED from a wild case of measles in the past 17 yrs, but over 108 have died in the past 17 yrs in the US from an adverse event after the MMR vaccination, the side effects of which are the same as the disease measles and that includes measles encephalopathy.

·
Registered
9,078 Posts
What AJ said. This cannot be in the US, if it isn't a made up story. Also, if this woman had natural measles infection as a child, her 8 month old would have been protected by maternal antibodies. It was extremely rare for an infant to get measles in the pre-vaccine era.

Anyway, I would say this is fake news.

·
Registered
3,284 Posts
As others pointed out there have been very, very few measles deaths in the US in decades. Most are in vaccinated immune compromised adults.

Sounds like pure bologna to me.

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
I noticed a few admissions of vaccine failures amongst the comments:
My son has measles. Right now. He's four. He had the MMR at 13 months, the follow-up shot and all of his vaccinations up to the preschool boosters last year. I even paid extra for the varicella (chickenpox) vaccine, which isn't routinely given here. He's been getting hotter, and more tired, coughing, scratching and not eating for nearly a week. The rash starts at his cheekbones and covers every part of him down to the soles of his feet.
Varicella (Chickenpox) vaccination failed on me as a child. Not as bad as mumps, but I received the worst case doctors in my area had ever seen. I was 8-9 years old; just old enough to understand that I was on death's doorstep. At 20, I still have extensive permanent scarring.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Right, that's my point... That NO children have died in the US from measles in the last decade. And I'm 99% sure from the word choices that it was written by an American. I am certain that this story is pure BS.

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
This is excerpt from this article in Mothering: http://www.mothering.com/articles/a-quiet-place-the-assault-on-freedom-of-conscience/
On January 8, 2009, the television show Private Practice aired an episode about a child who brings measles into a medical clinic and the widespread panic that ensues. Parents who don’t vaccinate are called child abusers and portrayed as pariahs. Measles is depicted as a life-threatening disease instead of the mild illness that my friends and I all had as children. In the Private Practice episode, the child dies from measles, an occurrence that is so rare that, based on the current incidence levels (42 in 2007), a death from measles would happen once every 119 years. Even if the incidence of measles were to quadruple, we would not see a death for 30 years. The current death rate from measles is 1 in 5,000, yet it is portrayed in the show as though it happens frequently.

In this episode, a doctor forcibly vaccinates the sick child’s brother for measles as his mother stands by protesting helplessly. While the actors who play the doctors in the show are all ridiculously good-looking and remarkably fit, the non-vaccinators appear dowdy and dangerous. One wears no makeup, is slightly overweight, and occasionally hysterical. The other is a sometimes drug addict who forgets to vaccinate.

·
Registered
24,720 Posts
I read the article on reddit.

She says her daughter got measles at age 8 months? That is roseola, sixth disease, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roseola

At less than a year, babies get baby measles for which there is no vaccine. IF the mother were breastfeeding, her daughter would have the immunities from the mom, if the mom had immunities.

Real measles, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Measles, is acquired after a year old.

Of course, when my son and niece had measles, the doctors could not diagnose it.

Reactions: Tweety_Bird

·
Registered
3,284 Posts
I read the article on reddit.

She says her daughter got measles at age 8 months? That is roseola, sixth disease, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roseola

At less than a year, babies get baby measles for which there is no vaccine. IF the mother were breastfeeding, her daughter would have the immunities from the mom, if the mom had immunities.

Real measles, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Measles, is acquired after a year old.

Of course, when my son and niece had measles, the doctors could not diagnose it.

No. Roseola and measles are different diseases. Roseola is caused by the herpes virus (6&7). Measles is caused by the measles virus itself. Roseola is sometimes called "baby measles" but they are not related at all and are completely different viruses. People of any age can get either disease.

My fully breastfed youngest got roseola at about 5 months old. No one else in the house got it (I assume because we already all had it at some point).

The child in the story may very well have had roseola not measles (if it's true at all), but we don't know enough from what she wrote to know.

Reactions: applejuice

·
Registered
24,720 Posts
That is my point, that the baby did NOT have the dreaded measles, the baby had sixth disease, roseola.

·
Registered
24,720 Posts
How many babies have died of roseola.? Anyone hear of one dying of it three years ago?
No babies have been reported as dying from roseola and in the past 17 years, and none have died from the dreaded measles, however over 100 have died from adverse events from the MMR.

·
Registered
18,826 Posts
There is so much publicity about even the possibility of a baby getting measles that I can't understand how an actual death either in the US or the UK could possibly occur without headlines.

·
Registered
18,826 Posts
When I was young I occasionally read one of those "True" magazines with horror stories about rape or housebreaking or mean husbands. The tone of this story reminds me of those magazines.

Reactions: applejuice

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Reminds me of when we, as children, listened to the scary Alfred Hitchcock stories on the radio late at night, and towards the end he would say: 'Did you leave your light on'. :eek:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts