Mothering Forum banner

Vote on the name Lila!

• Don't like it - she might be teased since it shortens to lie.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Don't like it for other reasons.

Votes: 12 11.5%
  • Love it.

Votes: 45 43.3%
  • Like it a okay.

Votes: 47 45.2%
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We think we want to name our daughter Lila. My only reservation is that it shortens to "lie". I worry about playground taunts: Lila is a liar, Lila lies, etc. My husband doesn't think this is a problem. What do you think? Thanks!

(Oops that was supposed to say just okay in the poll, not a okay.
)

·
Registered
4,486 Posts
Feh. Don't worry about teasing. Kids will always find something to tease about. My husband was called a "D-head" as a kid (?!) because apparently children thought in profile his head looked like the letter D. What are ya gonna do? Not that I would name my child "Fester" or "Adolph" or something like that, but there are few names that are that obviously spiteful to give a child...

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Lila is a beautiful name! It was on my girl list for this one but dh vetoed it because he knew someone with that name that he had a bad association with. oh well.

I think it's a great alternative to the very popular Lily that's been climbing the charts in the past few years.

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
I love the name Lila. I've never associated it with "lie" or "liar." I'm more apt to think of "lala" or "lil." I think it's a fiesty, feminine name.

·
Banned
4,450 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by loraeileen
Feh. Don't worry about teasing. Kids will always find something to tease about. My husband was called a "D-head" as a kid (?!) because apparently children thought in profile his head looked like the letter D. What are ya gonna do? Not that I would name my child "Fester" or "Adolph" or something like that, but there are few names that are that obviously spiteful to give a child...
I agree. Kids get really creative about teasing so don't worry about it that much. Lila is lovely!

·
Registered
183 Posts
I have a friend named Lila (pronounced lie-luh) and here's another positive about the name: most people in most countries who speak most languages can pronounce it. She's Mexican, she's been all over the world and now we're both in Israel and everyone can say it. It Hebew, it means "night". It's also a very popular Arabic name. The only challenge she says she faces is that people often see her name printed and want to pronounce it "lee-luh" which she doesn't care for.

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ZeldasMom
I like it. It's not like it shortens to/sounds like a bodily function or a curse word.
: I really love it! I think if a kid is going to be teased, they will be teased no matter what their name is.

·
Registered
4,482 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by mizraim
I love it..IMO, much better to have an "e"

Huh?

Anyway, I like Lila. When I was teeny I wrote a book about bunny rabbits named Charlie and Lila, so it's got good associations for me. And "Lilita" is sooo beautiful as a nickname.

~Nick

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
i'm just not all that fond of it, but for no specific reason.
however, i just want to say, don't worry about how a name can be interpreted for taunts by elementary school kids. if the name doesn't provide an easy taunt, kids are creative enough to find something ELSE to mock a kid for.

ps. kids called me "lorrie-borey" when i was little. but "shrimp" was far more popular!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.