Mothering Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
She's been pretty much in full time dipes for the last two weeks. I've been doing very little pottying because she was fighting it and she's trying to walk. Now I'm so afraid I messed it all up. I started her at 6 weeks and she's now 10 mo's and she's always let me know in some way that she has to go, and now she's stopped. How can I get back into the swing of things? She's not signaling at all.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Even if your child doesn't signal potty needs to you for a very long time you have not "wasted" your time. You have given your child the knowledge that she has a choice about where she eliminates. You have shown her that you love her. Follow her lead and all will be well.

My daughter is almost 2 and we are currently in the middle of yet another potty pause. She is very strong willed and always seems to return to the potty just when I stop pushing it.

·
Registered
5,936 Posts
Happened to us at 10 months, 18 months, and 20 months, and I was horrified each time. You will make it!

·
Registered
586 Posts
Sounds like a potty pause.

Being sick or learning some new skill sometimes bumps the potty learning to the back burner. Carry on as usual with EC and don't worry about it.

I'm guessing she's concentrating her energies on walking. She hasn't forgotten the potty and won't -- just distracted with this new thing.

A.

·
Registered
798 Posts
When my ds started walking, he lost interest in the potty. It was only occasionally we caught a cue. Now after months of diapers, he is back in the swing of things. He has been going on the potty every time (1 & 2) since Friday. I know it is hard. Just let your dc lead.

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
You haven't messed it up. Like others have said, sounds like a potty pause! Sometimes diapers gets used more frequently! She'll start using the potty again! At this point in time, I definitely appreciate every catch, lots of misses!

·
Registered
4,200 Posts
yup, potty pause. probably working on either a mobility or language milestone i bet, or cutting a bunch of teeth.

my DD2 just started walking last week and i think i have caught like 2 poops since then. sigh. she just won't sit still long enough to poo lately because she's too busy walking. i'm sure in a couple of weeks the luster of walking will have dimmed and we'll be back to the potty again. like our mother/baby relationship in general, things ebb and flow - her sleep patterns, her nursing patterns, how much she wants to be worn... it's all interrelated. just try to relax and do what you can when you can.

it's never a waste of time to respect your children and communicate with them - about elimination or anything else. try to remember that it's not about potty training, it's about keeping your child's awareness, about communicating, and about keeping baby clean and dry to the extent that it is possible at any given moment.

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
I'm actually very encouraged by the "conversation" I just had with ds. We'd ben out for awhile and were getting ready to leave again, so when I found a dry diaper on his butt instead of the soaked one I expected, I asked him whether he wanted to pee in the sink, the tub, the potty, a bowl, the toilet, etc. and was met with either a verbal "no" or obvious body language.

Well, I didn't want ds to be wearing a soggy dipe at the store, so I asked him if he wanted to pee on the bathroom floor. he said "uh huh" and promptly did.

So the communication part is still there, it's just the recepticle part that's an issue and quite frankly, my bathroom floor cleans up plenty easy and my kids are extremely sensitive to diaper rash so I can live with this. It was worth it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.